Mike Cope's blog

Saturday, August 23, 2003

As we approach the 40th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech, do yourself a favor: stop long enough to read (or watch) it again. I like what Philip Yancey wrote about King and his influence: "I better understand now the pressures that King faced his entire adult life, pressures that surely contributed to his failures. King's moral weaknesses provide a convenient excuse for anyone who wants to avoid his message, and because of those weaknesses some Christians still discount the genuineness of his faith. (These Christians might want to review the list of outstanding people of faith in Hebrews 11, a list which includes such moral deviants as Noah, Abraham, jacob, Rahab, Samson, and David.) I certainly once dismissed him. Yet now I can hardly read a page from King's life, or a paragraph from his speeches, without sensing the centrality of his Christian conviction. I own a collection of his sermon tapes, and every time I listen to them I am swept up in the sheer power of his gospel-based message, delivered with an eloquence that has never been matched."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home