Mike Cope's blog

Friday, October 17, 2003

Note to non-baseball-loving blog readers. I'll get back to you in a few days. Others read on . . . . Adios to the Red Sox. Babe, Bucky, Buckner -- and now Boone (as in the Yankees' 11th inning home run last night to send them instead of the Sox to the World Series). Fighting history is like fighting the tide. By the time the Cardinals returned to the World Series in October, 1967, I was in 6th grade. I guess that means my brother would have been a first grader. My sisters would have been 4 and 1. 1967 was the year of the Super Bowl before it had Roman numerals attached to it! In the first ever Super Bowl, Green Bay defeated Kansas City. Also in '67 . . . Mohammad Ali was stripped of his title for draft evasion. Elvis married Priscilla. Christiaan Barnard conducted the first human heart transplant. The big hits at Neosho's Intermediate School were "Windy," "I'm a Believer," and "Come on Down to My Boat." More significantly, it was the year of Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" and the Beatle's "Sergeant Pepper" album. But for me here's what mattered: the Cardinals were in the Series. And by 1967, both Roger Marris and I had seen the light. His playing for the Yankees and my cheering for the Yankees were long behind us. We were Cardinals (in different ways). So back to St. Louis we went for game 3 between the Cards and the Red Sox. This time the game was at the NEW ballpark. In 1964 we were at Busch Stadium I (which had been Sportsman's Park until the team was purchased by Anheiser-Busch in 1953). But now we were in the new Busch Stadium. For game three, here was the Cardinals' batting order (yes, I still have my scorecard I kept that day): Lou Brock, Curt Flood, Roger Marris, Orlando Cepeda, Tim McCarver, Mike Shannon, Julian Javier, Dal Maxvill. and Nelson Brills. The Red Sox were led by Carl Yastrzemski, of course. It was the last time in major league baseball that a player won the Triple Crown. That year Yaz batted .326, hit 44 home runs, and drove in 121 RBIs. But my Cardinals had Bob Gibson. Enough said. Gibson won games 1, 4, and 7. Some day the Red Sox may break the curse for trading Babe Ruth . . . but it wasn't going to be under my (and Bob Gibson's) watch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home