Mike Cope's blog

Saturday, November 22, 2003

I'm in Montgomery, AL, today. Today is almost a state holiday in Alabama: the day the Iron Bowl is played between Alabama and Auburn. The whole state is dressed in either crimson red or orange. I spoke at the Landmark Church this morning. (The revival is Friday night, Saturday morning, and then Sunday. They knew there was no way to compete with the Iron Bowl on Saturday PM!! I respect that.) Buddy Bell had asked everyone to dress to support their favorite shirt. The audience was about half crimson red and about half orange and blue. Just as I began, I took my denim shirt off to reveal my Texas Longhorn burnt orange shirt underneath! I told them I was sorry that I didn't have a UA or Auburn shirt, but I don't have time to keep up with Division II football. They responded with good-natured hissing. By the way, Sports Illustrated just named this the best rivalry in college football. That's saying a LOT when you think of Ohio State/Michigan, USC/UCLA, Texas/Oklahoma, Florida/Florida State, etc. - - - - Today on the 40th anniversary of President Kennedy's assassination, I recall one image that testifies to the strength of our constitution. LBJ stood with Lady Bird on his right and Jacqueline Kennedy (wearing a pink jacket spotted with the blood of her husband) on his left and took the oath of office. It was an image seen around the world -- an assurance that, despite the catastrophy, there was stability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home