Mike Cope's blog

Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Ian McKellen, AKA "Gandalf," has been on a media blitz before tomorrow's opening of "The Return of the King." (We have our tickets. Do you?) Listen to what McKellen, an atheist, says about the trilogy: "The interesting thing about Hobbiton to me is that it doesn't have a church. It's appealing to me that people like these stories and yet there isn't an archbishop and there isn't a pope telling you what to believe. . . . Despite being a Catholic, I don't think [Tolkien] was trying to write a Catholic parable, so I don't think we were meant to draw conclusions about faith from it. But I am sure that other people disagree." Umm, yes. I believe that's safe to say. (See Chuck Colson's words about Christian faith and "Lord of the Rings.") It's a compelling story about courage, hope, friendship, power, good and evil, faith. Who's the hero? Well, a case could be made for Aragorn, for sure. And Frodo, the ring-bearer, of course. But Samwise Gamgee may be the most compelling figure of all. Listen for him to utter these words when he sees his dear friend suffering from a burden he can't remove: “I can’t carry it for you, Mr. Frodo, but I can carry you.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home