Mike Cope's blog

Monday, December 01, 2003

I'm finishing up my grading of the papers my 106 freshmen students wrote. They're supposed to review a movie (from a list I gave), showing how the movie prepares for hearing the gospel through messages about sin, brokenness, community, friendship, compassion, etc. Some, never having done anything like this before, just turn the movie into an allegory. I finally took "The Matrix" and "Lion King" off the list because I couldn't take any more "Neo represents Jesus" or "Mufasa represents Jesus" papers. (Of course this year I put "Finding Nemo" on there, and you can imagine where that went!) But others catch it: instead of trying to find illustrations and draw parallels and produce allegories, they grab the big, overarching themes that great novelists and producers work with. "Places of the Heart," "Shawshank Redemption," "The Apostle," "Chocolat"--movies like this are working with real life themes like loss, grief, hope, pain, friendship, hypocrisy. On the subject of GREAT MOVIES, it is just sixteen days until December 17. And you know what that means! (LOTR #3)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home