Mike Cope's blog

Friday, April 23, 2004

I guess I'm the kind of customer that companies depend on. I'm an obsessive-compulsive loyalist. Which means this. I like Lever 2000 soap. That's all I'll use. It's all I've used for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I carry a bar with me rather than use the little freebies in the motel rooms. And with my O-C personality, I like to keep about 20 bars in the cabinet so I don't run out. I've stuck with Crest toothpaste, Gillette foamy shaving cream (although sometimes I'll go crazy and opt for the exotic Lemon-Lime scent), Gillette disposable razors, and Paul Mitchell shampoo (no comments, please, about how little good it's doing) my whole adult life. I never have to ask myself, "What kind of aftershave will I buy this time?" Always the same. Nor do I have to ask what kind of vehicle we're going to buy. It will be some kind of Chrysler. (That does have something to do with the fact that my father-in-law was a lifelong Chrysler employee and we get the family discount!) I wonder how much of this goes back to the loyalty bred and preached into me by my father. My dad believed that we made a living by the good businesses of Neosho, Missouri that advertised in our newspaper. And so, we were expected to buy products from those stores and from those stores alone. Once I used some of my paper route money to buy a new baseball glove from a sports store on the square. You guessed it: they were committed nonadvertisers in the Neosho Daily News. When I got home, Dad gave me the lecture about loyalty. The next day I took the glove back, went to the newspaper-friendly sports store on the other side of the square and bought another one. A few times people who were upset with me have suggested that I leave Churches of Christ. Ha! Try getting me to buy Ivory soap! Or brush with Colgate. Or shave with a Bic. I'm afraid people in this wonderful religious tribe are stuck with me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home