Mike Cope's blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

I have an embarrassing confession to make: I don't watch reality tv shows. None of them. Nada. Not "Survivor," not "American Idol," not "The Apprentice," not "Fear Factor." I've never seen Trump say, "You're fired!" (except on "Today Show" highlights). And watching people eat bugs doesn't do it for me. I'm not anti-TV. I O-D on sports during baseball season. I just can't get into reality shows. As I read about some of the reality celebs in this morning's USA Today (while experiencing my normal 2-hour airport delay!), I wonder: What's the appeal of Kelly and Justin, Clay, Ruben, Bill Rancic, and William Hung (the "She Bangs" guy who is endearing, though perhaps lacking in self-awareness)? Could part of it be weariness with real celebs? Are people finally seeing through the lunacy of our celeb-worshipping culture? Are we tired of watching people who specialize in image management and who change spouses and "significant others" as soon as they move up or down the ladder of celebrity? (An A-list star can't remain attached to a husband who's stuck on B-level status, can she?) Maybe the reality people seem, well, real. Maybe people think that Kelly would be more fun to chat with over lunch than Brittany. Or maybe I'm just jealous about the whole thing--that no network has yet come up with Reality Preacher. On that note, I'm off to try to get a plane to take me home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home