Mike Cope's blog

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Back when Bill Clinton's sins became public fare and when several religious leaders were feasting like ravenous wolves, I heard Landon Saunders say something profound. He said he thought that the real test of a friend is this: Imagine that you have just done something unimaginable, something you deeply regret. You're lying on the ground in anguish. Then you open your eyes. Whose face would you like to see? I have so many faces in mind: Landon, Darryl, Leonard, Adam and Donna, John and Evelyn, Eddie P. and Eddie S., Terry, Dickie, Leon, Ross, Charles, James, my brother . . . . What do you think? Whose face would you like to look up and see?

5 Comments:

  • Mike, what a wise quote from a wise man. If that were me, I would love to see your face!

    DU

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2004 12:31:00 PM  

  • My wife and I have an agreement -- if I ever do something profoundly stupid, immoral or illegal that could potentially ruin my career, marriage, family and life in general, she knows what to do: CALL JOE BEAM IMMEDIATELY! (We like to go ahead and prepare for such possibilities!) I have seen this brother rush in so many times when the vultures were circling, and Joe is always quick to lift up someone who's gotten themselves in trouble. He takes very seriously the call to "bind up the broken-hearted". I've got a substantial list of people, too (Buddy B., Jody V., Kin E., Russ K., Dana D., Joe Mac, among others), but Joe Beam's commitment to compassion and grace is unwavering. Even if you've never met Joe, he could still be your best bet!!

    By Blogger Matt Elliott, at 5/23/2004 06:01:00 PM  

  • Vic? Nah. Kim's, Grant's, Bob's, Phil's, and even your's Mike.

    By Blogger Joel Quile, at 5/23/2004 07:30:00 PM  

  • You ask hard questions.

    By Blogger Q, at 5/23/2004 09:07:00 PM  

  • Sheryl, Stephen, Paula, Fish, Dog, and you, Cope!

    By Blogger Brandon Scott, at 5/26/2004 01:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home