Mike Cope's blog

Sunday, May 16, 2004

The five hottest teams in baseball are all teams I like: the Angels (go, John!), the Rangers, the Astros, Baack's and Half Moon. Baack's and Half Moon? Oh yeah, baby. The big games are tomorrow night. We're both 6-0. We start by finishing the previous game that ended in a tie, when lightning rolled in after six innings. (You may recall that that was a blessed storm for our team!) Then immediately after that game is finished, we turn around and play again. It's dumb, I know. I'm 47, and I still love it so much. I love being an influence with the boys. I love the smell of leather gloves, the ping on a well-hit line drive, the taste of ballpark hamburgers (the Key City head "chef" knows how to grill onions and jalapenos to plop on top of mine!), and the free drink or snowcone that comes at the end whether you win or lose. Two years ago my team won a lot and went to the city tournament. Last year we were the cellar dwellers. This year, we're winning again. But it doesn't really matter, does it? Aren't there more important things to teach kids than how to hit a curve and how to turn a double play? The lessons of character--taught and modeled by the coaches and parents--are lasting. For better . . . or for worse.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home