Mike Cope's blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

A standing ovation for Randy Johnson, please. On behalf of all fortysomethings, I'd like to thank him for showing that we aren't yet over the hill. (I realize a case could be made that there is a slight difference between 47 and 40 or that there is a small difference between 6'10" and 5'8". Big stinkin' deal.) 27 up, 27 down for The Big Unit. I can't wait to go pitch batting practice tomorrow! Roger Clemens with a 7-0 record. Randy Johnson with a perfect game. Maybe it's time for: Nolan to come back and shoot for his 6000th strike out; Michael to return and lead the Bulls back to the playoffs; Joe Montana to show the young guns in the NFL what a QB does under pressure; Mark Spitz to jump in the pool in Athens; Diane and me to have another child so I can still coach another decade; Jack Nicklaus to win one more major. All of the above are very unlikely. One would require an act of God.

7 Comments:

  • Great post, and you're right. With his hip so out of whack, Nicklaus would definitely need divine intervention to win another major.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/19/2004 08:01:00 AM  

  • Great post, and you're right. With his hip so out of whack, Nicklaus would definitely need divine intervention to win another major.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/19/2004 08:02:00 AM  

  • You could always just adopt an entire team. It's been about eleventy billion years (okay, so really just 18) years since I played T-ball or softball. The closest I get anymore is the Camper/Counselor softball game at CRYC every summer. I have an amazing record though: every year, I manage to injure myself or others.

    Maybe it's best I only play once/year...

    By Blogger Q, at 5/19/2004 08:08:00 AM  

  • Who's the "anonymous" idiot who repeated his post?

    By Blogger Grant, at 5/19/2004 08:24:00 AM  

  • Who's the "anonymous" idiot who repeated his post?

    By Blogger Grant, at 5/19/2004 08:25:00 AM  

  • Mike, there are a few other differences you failed to mention. There is a small difference between looking like a preacher and looking like a big rat. There could also be a slight difference in the salary you earn and The Big Rat's bazillion dollars take home. I wouldn't sell each of your occupation's respective difficulties. I mean who would you rather face - Bonds or Vadney?

    By Blogger Joel Quile, at 5/19/2004 11:56:00 AM  

  • Mike - this is Baltimore Paul. I'm still struggling to avoid the label Baltimoron, which means I often tune in to some team other than the Orioles. Couldn't believe R Johnson was perfect. Effortless like and no junk. Seems to me like this may someday be seen as the Day of the Old Guys, as you were suggesting. If wisdom does indeed come with age, as the legend at least maintains, then this may indeed be the time to grow old. And it just may be that it feels really good to think the future lools really good. Anon E. Mouse

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/21/2004 03:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home