Mike Cope's blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

By now, everyone has seen the 28 year old who knocked a four-year-old kid out of the way to get a foul ball at a Rangers game. We've watched the boys mother smack the man and call him a jerk for acting like the foul ball was the Hope Diamond. I can imagine anyone acting foolishly without a moment to think about it. I can imagine jumping over a row a chairs without pausing to ask if anyone might be injured (or if a four-year-old ought to have first rights at grabbing the ball). But the bad part is that afterward, he seemed really proud of himself and refused to apologize or offer the ball to the little boy. Turns out the man is a former youth minister! Don't you know his lock-ins were fun. Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode (not that I actually saw it!) where George knocks a bunch of kids and a great grandma out of the way when he discovers that there is smoke in the house. He tries feebly to explain later that really he was a hero--that someone had to lead the way out of the house and that everyone knows you're supposed to get down when there is smoke--and that actually they should be thanking him!

4 Comments:

  • I love that episode--so George! Are you sure that wasn't Joel Quile who caught the ball?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/16/2004 12:14:00 PM  

  • I love that episode--so George! Are you sure that wasn't Joel Quile who caught the ball? oops--I wanted to be sure my name was attached this time! :)

    By Blogger Brandon Scott, at 6/16/2004 12:14:00 PM  

  • The four-year-old has made out like a bandit in all this. Game gear from the Rangers, Cardinals and now the Mets-- delivered by Charlie Gibson on Good Morning America-- not a bad haul.

    The 28-year-old, on the other hand, has made Steve Bartman look like Rudy Guliani. He's the new face of The Bad Fan for the sports media.

    By Blogger Phil Richardson, at 6/16/2004 12:31:00 PM  

  • I thought of the Seinfeld episode myself. I thought of what dodge ball at the HS retreat must have been like with him in charge. Just taking every kid out one by one - and loving every minute of it!! :) Another Seinfeld reference!! Just kidding - I don't know this guy from anyone and sadly we like to label people with one incident. I have to remember that.

    Just made me think that there must not be alot to talk about if this kid is being courted to NYC for talk shows!! Guess he came out OK in the end. As parent, I don't know if I'd pass up a free trip to NYC as well !! How's that for honesty !! :)

    By Blogger Donny, at 6/16/2004 03:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home