Mike Cope's blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Tonight before I retire, I want to remember on this blog my nephew, Jantsen Barrett Cope. He was a kind, faith-filled, make-you-fall-on-the-floor-laughing kid. His life was too short. It ended suddenly with heart failure five years ago today at the age of 15 shortly after he'd lifted weights with his football team. His absence was on our minds this weekend. We all knew that he should have been up there as one of Matt's groomsmen. These words from Nicholas Wolterstorff (following his own son's death), after this weekend, seem so appropriate: "When we gather now there's always someone missing, his absence as present as our presence, his silence as loud as our speech. Still five children, but one always gone. When we're all together, we're not all together." So, yes. It was a very big wedding. But it wasn't full. Two were missing. This evening I have both a tear and a smile as I remember the one who made me so proud to be his uncle.

4 Comments:

  • Mike, your blog tonight makes me want to hold my family a little tighter and live life to its fullest with them...to not let opportunities pass without taking advantage of them. Thanks for reminding us.
    grace to you, Julie

    By Blogger julie, at 6/16/2004 08:57:00 PM  

  • There is hardly a day that goes by that I don't think of my dad and miss him -- even after almost 5 years. After his sudden death, I remember being all alone in his house and falling asleep on his couch in the living room. I dreamed he was standing above me, smiling, extending his hand and squeezing mine. It was as real to me as if it had actually happened.

    Mike, I often think of your book One Holy Hunger where you discuss the various attributes and roles that God plays. I remember Daddy and others, both living and dead, who have been the face of God in my life and I,with tears in my eyes, rejoice and look foward to heaven.

    By Blogger Serena Voss, at 6/17/2004 08:14:00 AM  

  • It is so special to see how your family remembers those you have lost, especially during special family events. By doing this these family members are present during these times. It also reminds me of a family at my husband's home church who lost their dad this past week in a kayaking accident with his 14 year old son. Hopefully as this family experiences special events they will be able to remember and take cherished memories of their dad throughout their life.

    Sara Darli

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/17/2004 08:15:00 AM  

  • It is so special to see how your family remembers those you have lost, especially during special family events. By doing this these family members are present during these times. It also reminds me of a family at my husband's home church who lost their dad this past week in a kayaking accident with his 14 year old son. Hopefully as this family experiences special events they will be able to remember and take cherished memories of their dad throughout their life.

    Sara Darling

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/17/2004 08:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home