Mike Cope's blog

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Yesterday was a day of transition for the Cope family. In the morning we finished getting Matt and Jenna's apartment ready. They are about ten minutes from Baylor Medical School and about twenty minutes from the school where Jenna will teach. Significantly, they are about one minute from professional football games. Since entering full-time ministry in 1982 (two months after Matt was born), I've never preached for a church where he wasn't a member. Tomorrow will be the last Sunday that's true. The flip side of that is that the guy is 22 and finally he'll get to listen to some decent preaching! We got back in time last night to take Chris to "Breakthrough," Highland's early summer retreat for middle school students. And since he just finished 5th grade last week, this is his first middle school event. So we're officially out of children's ministry at Highland. I guess you might say in light of our age (both 47), IT'S ABOUT TIME! Life is a series of transitions. "O, Thou who changest not, abide in me."

5 Comments:

  • "So we're officially out of children's ministry at Highland."

    Give it 5-6 years, and you'll be right back - with the second generation acomin' up, you'll turn into the sappiest blogger on the 'blog' - it's called grandparenting. :)

    By Blogger Kathy, at 6/05/2004 07:15:00 AM  

  • I find these family transition times so complex; on the one hand, so sad I can hardly breathe, and yet so exhilarating that my smile hurts. Having just married off my baby girl and had my older daughter move back home, I've decided to give up keeping track of the transitions and just enjoy the ride!!
    Amy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/05/2004 08:48:00 AM  

  • Wow -- I'm doing the math here. I'll be 51 when my family is done with the children's ministry! Yikes!

    Change is a bittersweet thing, no? God bless you guys.

    p.s. -- Re: my last comment, I did NOT accuse you of "lighting the fuse." I accused of "lighting the POOP." That's VERY different. :-)

    By Blogger Matt Elliott, at 6/05/2004 04:52:00 PM  

  • In my mind, Megan should still be here, Matt should be in Middle School and Chris should be putting on his Scooby Doo backback headed for Thomas Elementary. Where in the world has time gone? I am so happy for Matt...and happy for you and Diane. Matt is a shining example of the Jesus in both of you. Much love-
    BST

    By Blogger Brandon Scott, at 6/05/2004 08:36:00 PM  

  • I am reminded of something Diane once said when I complimented your preaching. She said she was always so grateful that she married you and would spend her whole life listening to your sermons. She felt sorry for the wives of some preachers because like it or not, they never had the chance to get a new preacher!
    Matt(and Jenna)may soon find that when it comes to worship and being challenged from the pulpit, there is no better place than home! His Dad is a hard act to follow.
    Are we sure Matt is really old enough for this? In my mind he should be cringing on the corner by his Jr High as Diane picks him up from school in the Caravan with fake wood on the side and squeaky brakes! He was way too cool for that old Dodge!
    Blessings to you all! ~S(E)G

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/08/2004 02:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home