Mike Cope's blog

Thursday, July 15, 2004

As an avid reader, I've found myself returning again and again to writers whom I can trust to be thoughtful. I don't remember ever reading anything by Philip Yancey or Eugene Peterson when I thought, "Hey, that wasn't worth my time." Their words are eloquent, insightful, and faith-filled. Today from Peterson: "What a waste it would be to take these short, precious, eternity-charged years that we are given and squander them in cocktail chatter when we can be . . . vehemently human and passionate about God."

3 Comments:

  • Mike, if you had to list (difficult though it may be) the 3 most influential books that you've read, what would you say?

    By Blogger Jon, at 7/15/2004 11:16:00 AM  

  • "The Jesus I Never Knew" was an eye opening experience for me, then "What's So Amazing About Grace" rocked my world as much as any Spiritual book I had ever read. So I too am a HUGE Yancey fan. I also can't imagine anyone improving on the work that Peterson did with the NIV Daily Bible.

    For you IT experts out there, my friend Don Eudaly is having a hard time getting registered so that he can comment on Mike's blog. If you feel you can help him, please email him at deudaly@harding.edu Your help will be greatly appreciated. Surely someone out there is a "Good Samaritan"! :)

    By Blogger David U, at 7/15/2004 01:42:00 PM  

  • My bad.....I went brain dead for a second and got "the Message" mixed up with the NIV Daily Bible that LaGard Smith did the narrative comments in. SORRY! And yes, I love reading from "the Message". I have given or sent it to several people who were "unchurched" and searching.

    By Blogger David U, at 7/15/2004 01:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home