Mike Cope's blog

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Having finally been eliminated from the tournament on Friday night and having one of our few open nights since baseball began in late March (preseason, regular season, city tournament, all-star practice, all-star tournament), what did we do last night? Yup. Went to see the final little league game in District V. I sat in the stands full of "what ifs": what if I'd called a curve instead of a fastball, what if we hadn't had so many errors, what if I hadn't tried to send a kid home on a passed ball, etc. Anyone ever struggle with the "Whatifs" in life? The "whatifs" I had last night were the ones about how things could have been different. But there are also the whatifs that obsess on what may be waiting around the next bend. Perhaps you'll enjoy this Shel Silverstein classic: Last night, while I lay thinking here, Some Whatifs crawled inside my ear And pranced and partied all night long And sang their same old Whatif song: Whatif I'm dumb in school? Whatif they've closed the swimming pool? Whatif I get beat up? Whatif there's poison in my cup? Whatif I start to cry? Whatif I get sick and die? Whatif I flunk that test? Whatif green hair grows on my chest? Whatif nobody likes me? Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me? Whatif I don't grow taller? Whatif my head starts getting smaller? Whatif the fish won't bit? Whatif the wind tears up my kite? Whatif they start a war? Whatif my parents get divorced? Whatif the bus is late? Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight? Whatif I tear my pants? Whatif I never learn to dance? Everything seems swell, and then The nighttime Whatifs strike again!

5 Comments:

  • When my boys were little they would slide into whatif mode and it could become so annoying. We read that same poem and so whenever anyone would start with the whatifs....we would start giving outrageous and impossible whatifs back to them. It became a very funny game but would stop the serious whatifs in their tracks. I miss those times with my boys...now 21 and 19. grace to you, julie

    By Blogger julie, at 7/11/2004 06:59:00 AM  

  • So--just curious--since the Abilene "Repeater" News actually had nothing on the whole tournament!!! Who did Dixie play in the championship, Cedar Creek or Southern? My guess is Cedar Creek. Congratulations on a great season--kudos to Chris and his team.

    By Blogger Nancyk, at 7/11/2004 03:44:00 PM  

  • Congratulations on a great season! Most parents don't realize the demands and sacrifice a coach or manager make but then they have no idea how rewarding it can be!

    Not related to your post. I awakened early this morning and blogged and then just kind of started looking around blogspot. I ran across a blog I thought you might want to look at. hisvoice.blogspot.com , it had a hyperlink to a web site called sinbgone.com, interesting! e-pennance. Go figure!

    By Blogger d, at 7/11/2004 05:06:00 PM  

  • Whatif you appealed some obscure call by the teenaged ump, met him in the parking lot, roughed him up, talked him down, brooded about it for the second half of your life, and never once thought of your own or teams whatifs as you so transparently have in this blog? Then, you'd be like too many coaches and parents in little league America (I also think there's a lot of great coaches and parents, and I'm not trying to say everything is messed up...) So you think you may not should coach the higher levels? How about you get a ACU ex-baseballer or pitcher to come be pitching coach? The next level needs your salty influence. No pressure...and could you blog about it next year too.

    By Blogger Greg Taylor, at 7/12/2004 05:32:00 AM  

  • I was living in Chicago (and had attended some of the games) some years back when a parent beat a coach to death at a little league game. I remembered the coaches and parents from games I had played in that were quick to demean and harsh with their critique of 8 and 9 year old kids.

    I thank God that people like you are coaching kids. People who love the people more than the game.

    By Blogger chrismith, at 7/12/2004 07:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home