Mike Cope's blog

Saturday, July 24, 2004

I've been flying through books for the past week with some time designated for reading and praying.  One book that was a "for fun" read was Nicholas Sparks's new one, Three Weeks With My Brother.  The best-selling author (The Notebook,  A Walk to Remember, The Wedding, etc.) received a travel brochure for an around-the-world-in-three-weeks trip.  So he called up his brother, Micah, and pitched him the idea. Partly the book is a travelogue of their visits to places like Guatemala's Mayan ruins, Peru's Incan temples, Chile's Easter Island, and Cambodia's killing fields.  But each chapter leads him backward to recount their challenging lives, which have included being raised in poverty, the deaths of the rest of their family (parents and sister), and the (apparent) autism of one of Nicholas's sons. Just the thought of two brothers getting to travel together to reconnect is stirring.  Micah tries to help his younger brother put aside his workaholism and enjoy life; Nicholas tries to point his older brother back toward faith. Hey, Randy, you reading this?  I have two words, little brother:   Machu Picchu!

3 Comments:

  • Machu Pichu!!

    One of the eighth (sic)Wonders of the World, imo.

    Two magnificent places in South America where one can cleanse the mind, see the power of God's Creation and His love of beauty are: The view from the "peninsula" at Machu Picho and walking alongside the gigantic, powerful Falls on the Brazilian side of Iguazu, while being soaked to the skin by their soft, gentle spray.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 7/24/2004 07:22:00 AM  

  • I'd love to travel extensively with my younger brother. He's really one of my best friends and we get along terrifically. Heck, I'd even let him bring my sister-in-law. ^_~

    But what I'd love more than anything is for him to take some time and just disappear for a while with our youngest brother, the "black sheep" of the family. I got to spend a couple of hours with him Saturday while moving to my new apartment and I realized how much I've really missed him -- and how much I want the two of them to reconcile.

    Brothers are pretty good things to have around.

    By Blogger Q, at 7/26/2004 06:07:00 AM  

  • What a great idea! As someone who has reconnected with my brother over the past few years, I find this idea to be very appealing. Brotherhood is so powerful, and something to be embraced and nurtured. I also like that the title itself implies time spent. Puts to rest all that 80s talks about quality time. Quantity time IS quality time.

    By Blogger chrismith, at 7/26/2004 10:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home