Mike Cope's blog

Saturday, July 10, 2004

On the bright side, two good things happen today: (1) my little all-star team gets to go swimming, and (2) I get my vehicle back. The bad news, of course, is that both are possible because we lost last night and are eliminated. We ended up 5-2 and tied for 3rd in Texas District V. Once again we held the other team to 7 runs (which came largely from our ten errors, if you count passed balls where runners scored), but this time we only scored 6. So here in a little bit, I'll actually have my jeep again. Out comes the big equipment bag, the bucket of balls, the water cooler, the folders with team phone numbers, the extra rule book (an obsession which I attribute to my C of C heritage), and my glove. The part I'm trying not to think about is this: that may be the end of my little league coaching career. Christopher was DUE in August of 1992, but he came a month early. Had he been born on time, we'd have one more year of little league. There's still more baseball ahead, of course: junior league and senior league. But I doubt if I'll coach at those levels. So, that may be it. Of course, John and Elizabeth Edwards had their last child when he was 47 (my age) and she was 50 (WAY over Diane's age). Hmmmmmm . . . .

11 Comments:

  • Go for it, Mike! Hey, maybe you and your wife could have a child at the same time as that first grandchild comes along ...

    By Blogger Clarissa, at 7/10/2004 06:52:00 AM  

  • Mike, I only know you from afar...in the pulpit a few times, from your books, your articles, etc. However, I must warn you that if your wife reads this blog, you may be sleeping on the couch. ;-)

    By Blogger Jeff, at 7/10/2004 07:11:00 AM  

  • RUN, DIANE!!! RUNNNN!

    By Blogger Tim Castle, at 7/10/2004 08:04:00 AM  

  • Congratulations on getting your jeep back. I grew up at the baseball park watching my brother and always hated it when he made All Stars because we then had to travel to play. My brother's son is now a 10-year old All Star and I'm still traveling! Go Underwood All Stars! (and that great #4!)

    By Blogger That Girl, at 7/10/2004 08:41:00 AM  

  • Hey! #4 sounds great to me! And what better reward for going that far than an ice cream swimming party. You truly are a gifted coach!! :)

    By Blogger Kathy, at 7/10/2004 09:23:00 AM  

  • Not trying to be too personal here... but from what I hear, that would take a big miracle, or some sort of reversal!

    It's so hard to see our babies grow up... well hard and heart warming all at the same time! My respect for you is only intensified by your coaching career. I'm always encouraged to see successful professional men put their kids first. The fact that you love doing it is just gravy!

    And in 10 or 15 years, maybe you could help Matt coach! (I think something was just thrown at the screen) ;-}

    By Blogger SG, at 7/10/2004 09:36:00 AM  

  • Sounds like a pretty good way to wind up.

    Is the "extra" rule book like the "other" testament of Jesus Christ? 'Cause that could be a different heritage entirely....

    By Blogger Q, at 7/10/2004 04:37:00 PM  

  • I'm with Jeff and Tim. Run, Diane!

    By Blogger Serena Voss, at 7/10/2004 07:37:00 PM  

  • Have another kid just to keep coaching Little League? Better check your Jeep again. I'm not sure you have the...

    By Blogger Grant, at 7/10/2004 08:00:00 PM  

  • Ah, yes, SG. Good memory. (That is, "you have a good memory." NOT, "it is a good memory for me.") There is that whole V-surgery thing. Yes. Well, then, it's unanimous. Any future coaching will be with grandkids!

    By Blogger Mike, at 7/11/2004 06:04:00 AM  

  • Hey, I'm 48 and still trying to break into the majors myself. I know my 30 year hitting slump will end soon.
    (by the way, I've still got at least 5 years of assistant coaching left, with an 8-yr-old girl as our last)

    don

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2004 07:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home