Mike Cope's blog

Thursday, August 26, 2004

I can't believe it, but Megan would have been 20 today. She was born August 26, 1984 in Wilmington, NC, and died on November 21, 1994. These words are taken from a piece written by our friend Thom Lemmons called "Limping Along in the Lord's Army": "One of our friends once characterized Megan as a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and, the more I reflect on that description, the more apt it becomes. Megan was a living proclamation; not, like her father, by means of artful words and powerful phrases nor, like her mother, in visions and a spirit of discernment and prayer. Rather, Megan proclaimed her message in her life. She was a walking icon of Christ's admonition to take no thought for tomorrow, but simply, in faith, to let each day unfold on its own. I doubt it ever occurred to Megan to make long-range plans or to fear what the next five minutes might bring. Megan, like the birds of the air and the lilies of the field, trusted in the Creator, through his human agents, to supply whatever requirements she might have. She knew no other way to live. And in that respect, she sits in judgment on us all, and leads us toward a more primitive and perfect trust. Megan was a flesh-and-blood display of the topsy-turvey economy of the kingdom of heaven. She was one of the least of us, yet she occupied the apex of our care, absorbing all the loving service we could offer, and able to absorb still more. Without any 'thank you,' without any false reticence, without even seeming to notice, she took all that we could give her, and still we were left with the sense that it was not enough. And yet, to anyone who held her down for a breathing treatment, or marched with her through the church parking lot, singing 'I'm in the Lord's Ar-my, Yes, Sir!', or changed her soiled undergarments, or tried in vain to rescue some semi-edible artifact from her unbelievably quick hands, or held her as she gasped for breath--to anyone who ever poured a minute's worth of love down the bottomless pit that was Megan, the blessing which followed beggared any other reward. Megan taught us all the difference in value between receiving and giving. We only wished we could have done more: there was no question of doing less. And all the while, we were the ones being made over by her innocent carelessness and her shattering need into a closer imitation of the one who poured out his life as a ransom for many." Happy birthday, Meg. You are deeply, deeply missed.

12 Comments:

  • Mike,

    I have enjoyed your writings for some time as well as the contributions of those who comment on your blog. I admire your heart as a father, and as a man of God. I don't know what it's like to have the intense hurt of losing a child thrown at you, but one thing I do know from what I have read on your blogs, and especially from today, If I ever have to walk through the valley as you and your spouse have, I pray that I may do so with the same courage, and faith you express.

    By Blogger Jason Retherford, at 8/26/2004 07:27:00 AM  

  • I woke up thinking about you guys today.
    August 26th will always be "Megan day" for me. I was thinking how I went through a dozen pairs of sunglasses with that girl. She was so fast! There were times I would have sworn she was brillant and I was the handicapped one. She had a way of getting what she wanted from me... that crooked smile would get me when the fast hands didn't. I confess that we may have dropped by Larry's Better Burger for Butterfinger Ice Cream more times than you and Diane knew. Matt may remember that. Mr. Lemmoms was so right about the blessings that far outweighed the effort it took to care for Megan. I was one of the lucky ones she "ministered to" and I will be forever better because of her. Thank you!

    By Blogger SG, at 8/26/2004 07:31:00 AM  

  • no coincidence that i just heard this song after reading your blog this morning.
    http://gloriousgrace.net/beautiful.htm
    megan was (is) beautiful in all ways.

    By Blogger karen, at 8/26/2004 07:39:00 AM  

  • I was blessed as a teenager hearing you share at Youth In Action in Birmingham about Megan. Thanks for your openness and willingness to teach other people through your grief. I never met Megan, but I have been impacted by her life through your stories. Thank you.

    By Blogger Travis, at 8/26/2004 08:33:00 AM  

  • Karen,

    I agree with you: No coincidence. What a tender and beautiful song! Thank you for sharing with all of us.

    By Blogger Serena Voss, at 8/26/2004 08:51:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    We first met just two years before Megan's early homegoing. Your love and devotion for Megan has always touched my heart. This last year in Abilene has helped me get to 'know' Megan through your sharing of memories and your grief at her absence.

    Reading today's blog, then listening to the wonderful song Karen posted was more than my poor heart could stand and I cry in grief for and with you and Diane. From her picture, it's obvious that Megan truly was bautiful, but more so, her beauty shines through your love for her.

    Thank you for including us in this, one of your very special days.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 8/26/2004 09:00:00 AM  

  • I can't imagine the pain that you and your wife have been through and still continue to feel. If I ever go through something like this, I pray that my wife and I will do so with the grace, openness, and love that you and your wife have shown. You are an inspiration. God Bless

    By Blogger Ed Harrell, at 8/26/2004 10:50:00 AM  

  • I can't imagine the pain that you and your wife have been through and still continue to feel. If I ever go through something like this, I pray that my wife and I will do so with the grace, openness, and love that you and your wife have shown. You are an inspiration. God Bless

    By Blogger Ed Harrell, at 8/26/2004 10:52:00 AM  

  • I can't imagine the pain that you and your wife have been through and still continue to feel. If I ever go through something like this, I pray that my wife and I will do so with the grace, openness, and love that you and your wife have shown. You are an inspiration. God Bless

    By Blogger Ed Harrell, at 8/26/2004 10:52:00 AM  

  • Sorry for posting thrice. I need a new mouse because the buttons are sticking. God Bless.

    By Blogger Ed Harrell, at 8/26/2004 10:53:00 AM  

  • Mike, I feel as if I had the privilege of knowing Megan from having heard you speak so lovingly about your time with her. Thank you for sharing her life and example with this community. God bless you and your family on this day.

    By Blogger Greg, at 8/26/2004 02:35:00 PM  

  • One of the most powerful sermons I've ever heard was a sermon you did about 5 years ago about the song of the Lord (or something like that!), in the middle of which you talked about Megan. I'll never forget the candor with which you spoke of her. I pray that God continues to give you peace, perspective, and grace as you help others in their struggles. Blessings!

    By Blogger Krister, at 8/26/2004 06:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home