Mike Cope's blog

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Today was my car pool day. The line-up is Chris, Zach, Zach, Kirk, and Dylan. All kids I've coached. There's nothing quite like the lively chatter ("hey" . . . "hey" . . . "hey, dude" . . . "hey") of five sixth grade boys early in the morning! (I'm wondering: how different would a car pool be with five sixth grade girls?) Yesterday I was at a luncheon at ACU, eating with nine incoming freshmen. Four of them were ministry majors whom I'll have next semester when I co-teach with Randy Harris. But I found myself a bit envious of them. What a great time to be a Bible/ministry major at ACU! The college that Jack Reese, the dean, has put together is incredible. They can study preaching from Mark Love, Jack Reese, Tim Sensing, Stephen Johnson, and James Thompson. They can take John Willis and Mark Hamilton for OT. They'll wind up with several classes by Randy Harris and Fred Aquino. And I'd like to take a whole year off just to take every Jeff Childers class that is offered. Plus, people who take David Wray's classes (especially on spiritual formation) describe them as life-changing. And I hate to even begin a list like this, because it could keep going on: Jeanene, Ken, Doug, Marsha, Rodney, Tony, Jerry . . . . I did a bit of reminiscing recently about the Harding years. So . . . here is a glimpse from the 70s (fall of '77, I think) of me with my beloved.

15 Comments:

  • Are you sure that's not a poster from the movie "Love Story"?

    Love means never having to say you're sorry (you wore that shirt).

    ;-)

    By Blogger Terry Austin, at 8/19/2004 06:19:00 AM  

  • I'm glad you identified yourself.........I thought it was Bob Dylan with some good looking chick. Bell bottoms were cool, weren't they?

    By Blogger David U, at 8/19/2004 06:38:00 AM  

  • Neil Young called...he wants his chops back.

    You stud you.

    By Blogger c, at 8/19/2004 07:26:00 AM  

  • You're a courageous man, Mike. I'll give props to anybody who posts pictures like that. Of course you know that you've opened yourself up to all sorts of jokes. But I'll refrain because I could post some pictures of my own that are pretty disturbing. Like my 5th grade school picture when I had a mullet. That's right - a mullet. But hey, I'm from Alabama.

    By Blogger Josh, at 8/19/2004 07:33:00 AM  

  • Nice sideburns.

    No, really.

    ...

    Have I mentioned I'm glad I had no real cognitive faculties for memory during my brief exposure (August to December -- 4 months?) to the 70's? 'Cause I meant to. Repeatedly if necessary.

    ~~

    I wish I'd stuck with Bible/biblical languages as an undergrad major. I liked English well enough, but it was never my passion. I'm just grateful to be able to be able to get back to what I really love. Maybe eventually I can do something with it. Maybe even without being a heretic. ^_~

    By Blogger Q, at 8/19/2004 07:58:00 AM  

  • I think Drew Barrymore must have used Diane's hair as as model for her "Wedding Singer" role. She looks great!!!

    And as for you, Mike, well...we love you, Mike.

    Those pictures are a hoot. I love it. Thanks for a great post!!!

    By Blogger Matt Elliott, at 8/19/2004 08:04:00 AM  

  • AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRGH! I love it! I cannot believe you would post pictures like that where Quile and Boone can so easily take them for further use in photo shop. Not that I am giving them any ideas. Quile and Boone. I mean, you guys wouldn't want to do anything with those would you? Well, it was certainly not my idea.

    By Blogger Brandon Scott, at 8/19/2004 09:05:00 AM  

  • Whoa....that picture is far out. Really groovy.

    By Blogger Jon, at 8/19/2004 12:12:00 PM  

  • Jim had hair about that length, only it was more auburn and a bit curlier.


    I've always liked bell bottoms.

    By Blogger Serena Voss, at 8/19/2004 01:37:00 PM  

  • "American woman,... better stay away, hey"

    By Blogger Cindy, at 8/19/2004 02:03:00 PM  

  • "Born to be Wild"

    "Wild Thing"

    By Blogger David Michael, at 8/19/2004 02:14:00 PM  

  • tee hee. tee hee hee.

    Who was doing YOUR pre-marital counseling that year?

    We have a similarly telling picure of John in stone-washed denim and a mullet (well, sort-of) and me with hair permed up to high heaven.

    You must have thought we were nuts. But no more nuts than you guys 10 years earlier. I'll always appreciate your kind encouragements. I hope I see you in Nashville soon. And what about the In-Step Retreat?

    By Blogger Alice Griffith, at 8/19/2004 02:49:00 PM  

  • Fall of '77...it was a good year for me too. I was born. Ahhh...sweet memories.

    Lookin' good, you two!

    By Blogger Summer, at 8/19/2004 02:49:00 PM  

  • I can't believe that out of the last 12 comments, no one mentioned the amount of hair at the top of Mike's head? I'm not a close friend who has the rights to joke about people's hair, but I would think Matt or Brandon would have taken such an opportunity. And you guys call yourselves Mike's friends.

    By Blogger Travis, at 8/20/2004 01:50:00 PM  

  • I am not sure one could find a hair joke that would be better than the ones Mike has already told on himself.

    A picture is worth a thousand words, and that being the case, Mike, if you get short on blog time, just give us a picture and a brief caption and let us comment about it. : )

    By Blogger Serena Voss, at 8/21/2004 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home