Mike Cope's blog

Sunday, August 08, 2004

We're back! What a great trip back to Pensacola Beach. Our last night we went to a free Chuck Negron (former lead singer of Three Dog Night) concert on the beach at the Bushwacker Festival. It was our third time to hear him at the annual festival, and once again he sang all the favs, saving "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog" for a prolonged encore. Too tired to write much tonight. My blog began a year ago with this post. So, out of laziness here's a "blog classic": We just returned from Pensacola Beach--our 15th straight year in the same condo (since 1989). It is now like holy ground. We can look out at the sand on the gulf on one side and the sand on the Santa Rosa Sound on the other side and picture our children. We remember taking a little boy and his younger sister. We remember taking the brand new baby in 1992. We can still see Megan there during her very ill days. We recall clearly the first summer of grief following her death. And now this year, we got to return with our boys and a girl (who next year will be our daughter-in-law). It has been a sanctuary, an oasis, a respite, an emergency care center through this decade and a half. We have swam, played tennis, bought fresh fish at Joe Patti's, eaten the best grouper sandwich in the world from Peg Leg Pete's, jumped in the waves, collected shells, biked, thrown baseballs, played Uno and Hearts, read, listened to Jimmy Buffett and Michael W. Smith (not together usually), watched movies, prayed, and grown deeply in our love.

8 Comments:

  • I hope you again ordered fish from Joe Patti's - up until 3 years ago, my grandparents lived in Pensacola their entire lives. One of my favorite childhood memories is my grandfather taking me to Joe Patti's for mullet. He always told me that mullet wasn't a "trash fish," and as he was a former mullet fisherman, I never questioned it. (Looking back, yes, mullet is generally considered a trash fish - but because my Grandfather told me otherwise, I'll still never call it that!)

    Welcome back.

    By Blogger Malibu Librarian, at 8/08/2004 07:16:00 PM  

  • This may be completely inapppropriate, but hearing the words "mullet" and "trash" together just make me think of Joe Dirt. I think we could all learn from that man:

    "Life's a garden, dig it"

    :D

    By Blogger Greg Kendall-Ball, at 8/08/2004 10:33:00 PM  

  • Mullet and 3 Dog Night make me think of something else - BAD HAIR! Oh the 70's...

    Joe Patti's! That's the place Chris Seidman took me when he lived there. I've tried and tried to remember that calling it "Patty Melts" or "Peppermint Patty's" to the amusement of no one! Thanks for a great memory. Mahi mahi (no idea how to spell that...sorry) was the catch that night and oh what a chef that Mr. Seidman is. Welcome back...

    By Blogger Rob, at 8/09/2004 04:28:00 AM  

  • WELCOME HOME!!

    You've been missed, at the same time thankful for your respite and rest time!

    By Blogger Kathy, at 8/09/2004 06:30:00 AM  

  • as a three dog night fan, i am curious as to whether he performed the following songs:

    brickyard blues
    eli's coming
    never been to spain
    mama told me not to come
    shambala

    sounds like a great concert, a great place, and a great time. glad to have you back.

    By Blogger chrismith, at 8/09/2004 06:49:00 AM  

  • Yes, Mike. Good to have you back.

    A word about Kathy Morris: She just got out of surgery a little over an hour ago and the report was good. I will leave the details to others, but she had asked that I make a comment here for those who had been praying.

    By Blogger Serena Voss, at 8/09/2004 12:41:00 PM  

  • I find it insulting to hear bloggers unfamiliar with the Northwest Florida coast to criticize the Mullet. Sure, the name sounds more like a haircut than something you would eat for dinner, but Northwest Floridians take pride in their Mullet (usually while wearing a Mullet). Having grown up just a few miles east of Pensacola in Niceville, FL (Yes, that's right, there is a town called Niceville. And yes, it's nice, I guess.) I know all about Mullet.

    Every October in Niceville local rednecks (I can use the term because I'm from there, but don't you dare) hold the Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival, complete with Mullet (the fish), alligator meat, lots of beer, country music, fat guys, and, yes, lots of Mullets (the haircut). If anyone is looking for a good vacation in October, check out the Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival in Niceville, FL. And to get the full experience of Niceville, stay at "Tisa's Friendship Inn."

    Thanks Mike for the memories of home. I know you enjoyed the best beaches in the world and some of the best seafood in the world.

    By Blogger Travis, at 8/09/2004 01:22:00 PM  

  • Chris - He sang the last four. Began with "One Man Band" and ended with "Celebrate" (one of my all-time favs) and "Jeremiah."

    By Blogger Mike, at 8/09/2004 02:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home