Mike Cope's blog

Saturday, September 11, 2004

As Chris and I watch the Horns and Razorbacks tonight, it takes me back. WAY back. My parents were UT graduates, so every fourth year when the big game came to Fayetteville we were there. Dressed in burnt orange amid a sea of Red. It was in that environment that I learned the meaning of being a counter-culture. I was also first exposed to obscene gestures there. We were at the big game -- often called "The Game of the Century" -- in 1969 as Texas and Arkansas fought for the #1 ranking in the polls. Let's see, that would be 35 years ago. That would make me . . . about Chris's age. One special part of this game is that Cedric is still running for the Longhorns. There were two great games (Matt's junior and senior years) when he was Abilene High's middle linebacker and Cedric was Midland Lee's running back. Those are good memories. (Truthfully, they were both losses. But still good memories.)

1 Comments:

  • Sorry, Mike, but I gotta go with UA on this one. Jeb Huckeba, their 6'5", 248 lb Defensive End, is from Searcy...a classmate of my brother, and a really good player. Besides, a UT loss makes it so much easier to trash talk Trey Finley, and it makes it that much easier for OU to roll into the Orange Bowl.

    Good luck though....seems like agood game so far....

    By Blogger Greg Kendall-Ball, at 9/11/2004 06:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home