Mike Cope's blog

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

I keep hearing that CBS-gate ("putting the BS back into CBS") is going to hurt their ratings. But in the short run, it's helped their ratings in our house. We never, ever watch CBS news. We are Brokaw people. (And as I've mentioned before, I'm like Rainman. It's hard to pull me out of my ruts.) But last night I watched Dan Rather just to see what would happen. It was a surreal experience listening to CBS report on "the CBS story." I'm thinking someone forgot the lessons from first year journalism about checking sources. - - - - Tonight I'm preaching from Jeremiah 32. What an amazing story of hope. I love God's response to Jeremiah's prayer: "I am the Lord, the God of all people. Is anything too hard for me?" Next week Randy Harris will begin a 3-week series entitled "How I Got to Be So Humble." Vintage Randy! - - - - I figured out part of the dance of our parenting skills last night. Diane is the bedtime Nazi. I am the vegetable Nazi. She's passionate about a sixth grader getting to bed RIGHT ON TIME! I'm looking for more of a ballpark bedtime -- after one more inning of the Rangers game, or one more story, or one more game of ping-pong. I'm passionate about learning to eat vegies when you're young. It's no secret that our diets need lots of vegetables, fruits, and nuts -- and it's hard to learn better eating habits when you're older. Poor Matt survived my eating fanatacism, but it's funny to hear him tell about how much he looked forward to Sundays when (to celebrate the Lord's Day, I guess) he was allowed to have a breakfast bar instead of "healthy" cereal. (Bad news, Matt. I'm still a Nazi vegetable dad, but I've caved a bit on breakfasts. While my "Fiber One" and "Good Friends" cereal boxes are still around, Chris has other boxes of sugared cereals. Maybe this is another advantage of having older parents. They're too tired to fight the same battles.)

3 Comments:

  • I think that an "inner nazi" will surface in just about anyone who has been a parent for more than 5-6 years. I'm not nearly as strict about good eating habits as I should be, but I can be unreasonably grumpy and autocratic about a few subjects. Among them: (1) bedtime (I guess I share this with Diane), (2) ANYTHING relating to Christmas that appears in (or around) our home at ANY point prior to Thanksgiving, (3) lost remote controls, and (4) failing to bring toys, basketballs, soccer balls, etc., etc. back into the house after they have been taken outside.

    By Blogger Matt, at 9/22/2004 07:43:00 AM  

  • So, let's see......You have increased your viewing of CBS and you live in Abilene. Just when was the last time you were at the Kinko's there?

    By Blogger Jim Shelton, at 9/22/2004 04:52:00 PM  

  • Ha! Jim, isn't that amazing? How often does Abilene, Texas make it in the news like that? Rule of thumb: If you're going to forge documents, erase the part that says "Kinko's in Abilene."

    By Blogger Mike, at 9/22/2004 06:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home