Mike Cope's blog

Thursday, September 09, 2004

This addendum to last night's message: Jeremiah, faithful to Moses, understood what numb people will never know, that only grievers can experience their experiences and move on. I used to think it curious that when having to quote Scripture on demand someone would inevitably say, "Jesus wept." But now I understand. Jesus knew what we numb ones must always learn again: (a) that weeping must be real because endings are real and (b) that weeping permits newness. His weeping permits the kingdom to come. Such weeping is a radical criticism, a fearful dismantling, because it means the end of all machismo; weeping is something kings rarely do without losing their thrones. Yet the loss of thrones is precisely what is called for in radical criticism. - Walter Brueggemann

4 Comments:

  • Mike,
    Thanks. I can turn the tears off when I need to, like Monday when I spoke for Debi's service. Sometimes I forget to turn them back on.
    Jere

    By Blogger jere welch, at 9/09/2004 12:49:00 PM  

  • Jere,

    My mom was really blessed by your words and your memories. I can't imagine having a friend from birth all the way through high school, into adulthood, to the end of life. What a beautiful bond you shared!

    I too have been blessed by the reminder of words and images that make Christ alive in this very moment. I haven't had much time to comment lately, but have been blessed by the comments here. This blog is one of my daily stops, whether or not I post.

    By Blogger Serena Voss, at 9/09/2004 02:41:00 PM  

  • Pardon my language, but that quote kicked my butt all over the internet. Thanks. Love it.

    By Blogger Jon, at 9/09/2004 05:04:00 PM  

  • Amazing how the Spirit can find a way to convey to us just the words we need to hear. Today, this is what I needed; the reminder to let endings occur, mourn them properly, and most importantly move on. Thanks so much!

    Donna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/10/2004 04:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home