Mike Cope's blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

We've been through two hurricanes. In 1984, we endured seven hours of Hurricane Diana in Wilmington, NC. The highest winds were 115. It was a memorable night as we were joined by members of our church who lived in trailer homes. We lost nine trees in our yard--along with our front screen door and the guttering. One of the people staying with us that evening had an artificial leg. In the middle of the storm, he took it off. Matt, two at the time, woke up and walked in only to see the guy missing a leg. He thought the storm was worse than he'd imagined! The second one was in our beloved Pensacola Beach in 1995 when Hurricane Erin made a direct hit. This was not as strong as Diana had been, but still had wind gusts of up to 110. We have fun memories (especially nine years away!) of spending a couple days with the Porches in the home of Buddy and Stephanie Bell, who had just moved a few miles inland. Our prayers continue for all those in Florida and on the Caribbean islands who've been impacted by the three hurricanes this season as well as for all those in New Orleans . . . and Biloxi . . . and Mobile . . . and Pensacola Beach . . . who wait to see which way Ivan will go this morning.

5 Comments:

  • Let's keep praying, Mike -- I've been in touch with lots of Pensacola folk the last day or two. My good friend Ole Olsen lives on Pensacola Bay and just finished boarding up his home last night. He wonders if it'll the house will be standing two days from now. His next-door neighbor, however, refuses to leave or put up a single sheet of plywood. His reason? "That plywood can rattle around and break your windows!" Ole's response was, "Well, so can a 140 m.p.h. pine cone!"

    By Blogger Matt Elliott, at 9/15/2004 07:50:00 AM  

  • I will never forget the port-a-potty flying through the air, and the best meal from McDonalds I've ever had.

    Oh, how much we take for granted...

    By Blogger RPorche, at 9/15/2004 08:34:00 AM  

  • I've been through my share of tornadoes (up close and personally, too) but the closest I've been to a hurricane is what has here been dubbed "Hurricane Elvis." Last July, the Bow Echo (same meteorological phenomenon, apparently, only less sustained) blew through and shook up our little town. I stayed home.

    Tornadoes, though, have inspired more stories. I even have a cute nephew story and several Harding stories because of tornadoes.

    By Blogger Q, at 9/15/2004 09:00:00 AM  

  • Well...I have a much different take on Ivan, i detailed how i WISH it would go directly into Florida. I have detailed my reasoning on my site.

    By Blogger RW, at 9/15/2004 10:47:00 AM  

  • Well! I sure would like "Robbie's" website! My kids live in central Florida, and I don't want Ivan to go there or ANYWHERE on land! As Ricky Ricardo always said to Lucy, "Splain yourself". Am praying for all of the Gulf region.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/15/2004 02:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home