Mike Cope's blog

Saturday, October 30, 2004

Certainly it's a weekend to pray for our nation (as, of course, we pray for all nations of the world). I, for one, will be glad to get politics ads off of television and radio. They're pretty much all--Democratic and Republican--obnoxious to me. A great memory from four years ago. Friends in Uganda were watching election results on a satellite tv at a local hotel. Others who were watching in the hotel told them how very sorry they were for America. When my friends asked why, they found out that the others were assuming there would be an ugly civil war in the United States. Al Gore had "clearly" won the election. (They understood popular vote, which Gore clearly won, but had no concept of electoral college.) They found out that the election turned on the decision of a state where the President's brother was governor and where one of his state campaign co-chairs was secretary of state . . . and then on the decision of a Supreme Court that was heavily Republican-appointed. They assumed there would be war. But there wasn't. There was anger. There were recounts. Then no recounts. Then appeals. But in the end, there was civility. I hope there is a clear victor Tuesday night. (If the most recent polls are accurate, it sounds like there will be a clear winner.) But even if there isn't--even if we're in suspense for weeks again while votes are being counted in Ohio or Wisconsin and while appeals are being filed--aren't you glad that the system of government holds up? I'm especially thankful for the mature ways I've noticed so many Christians agreeing to disagree in this election. Apparently a majority of white Christians will vote for George Bush, while a majority of African-American Christians will vote for John Kerry. They're apparently weighing different aspects of the campaigns and coming to different conclusions. Wouldn't it be tragic if we erected walls saying, "Real Christians vote this way"? The last thing the body of Christ needs is ONE MORE THING to divide "the REAL Christians" (those who agree with ME) from the others.

6 Comments:

  • thank you for a great post I am a republican that is voting for Bush...however I respect the difference in opinion that my brothers in christ have. I might disagree with but when it comes down to it Jesus died for everyone. God Bless

    By Blogger Chris, at 10/30/2004 01:51:00 PM  

  • The sanest things I've read about politics have been on this blog even though you haven't written much. At times I've wanted to see an endorsement of my candidate, but most of the time I haven't wanted that. I realize that isn't what you're about. Your blog consistently calls on me to follow Jesus in a way that supercedes elections and national borders. Thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/30/2004 03:52:00 PM  

  • Amen.

    I still find amazing the fact that every 4 years our nation involves what can only be seen as a peaceful revolution - at times a continuance and at others a complete overthrowing, sometimes angry, often emotional with few who feel unaffected by its outcome.

    I find it very hard to say "real Christians" will vote for so-and-so. Both candidates represent at various levels things that are extremely contrary to the will of God and detrimental to his kingdom. And both espouse in some ways values and 'causes' that are very near to the heart of God. But sometimes I think God doesn't really care one way or the other about the US and I find it hard to believe he gives a flip ultimately about whomever is in charge, because no matter how long we last as a nation, we're impermanent. My citizenship here is transient and temporary, terminating on death or civil destruction. My citizenship with God is eternal and I tend to think that's the only "government" he really cares about.

    Isn't our Christian responsibility to spread not only the good new and the love of God, but also to care for the widow, the orphan and the alien who dwells among us? And to do that, we use the tools available to us: our resources, our time and even our legislation, perhaps?

    I dunno. To claim that the Christian's choice is "obvious" is to devalue the concerns of many Christians - concerns that may reach beyond abortion, civil unions and national security.

    By Blogger Q, at 10/30/2004 05:06:00 PM  

  • Again tonight, I feel impelled once again to quote Dr. Tim Scott, "We cannot allow our politics to define our Christianity."

    My dearest friend and I met last week for a national conference for leaders of single parent family ministries. She was also able to come to Abilene a few days, including last Sunday and enjoy a time to meet some of my new friends at Highland.

    Among other thngs, we talked about the upcoming elections. She's a beautiful Christian, as well as being Black. [She really gets upset when someone calls her an "African American, saying she has no roots in Africa.] She has always voted Republican, but something this time is causing a crisis. She is almost to a point of voting for Kerry simply to see if maybe the 'other side' will come up with ideas that will not be so violent, as is the case with Iraq. She's deeply disturbed by the expressed hatred she sees on both sides, the lies from both sides, the unfulfilled promises from both sides, but admits to having no solution.

    We really only have one solution - to remember where our true allegiance lies, where our eternal citizenship is, and to prayerfully turn this election situation over to the only One with the power to still once again, turn our messes into one of His miracles.

    I confess to being far more concerned for our process and the future of our nation, Mike, and pray fervently that our nearly 250 years of successful governing philosophy will remain in tact through the trial awaiting us this coming Tuesday.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 10/30/2004 10:55:00 PM  

  • Amen, bro! Thanks for always pointing us in the right direction. Would you mind running as a write in candidate?

    By Blogger Brandon Scott, at 10/31/2004 05:21:00 AM  

  • Your comments about the election are just the fresh air I needed. Unfortunately, here in Small Town, OK, barriers are put up. I've been told in the past few weeks that for Christians (and sane people) there is only one way to vote. Thanks, Mike, for helping me have confidence in my differing beliefs.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2004 02:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home