Mike Cope's blog

Friday, October 22, 2004

There wasn't any doubt was there? Atta way, Cards! The last time the Cardinals and the Red Sox played in the World Series was 1967. And I was there (for game 3)! Because we were a MO newspaper family, my dad could always score tickets. I've been to a game in every World Series the Cardinals played in during my lifetime ('64, '67, '68, '82, '85) except for 1987. Sad story. I had agreed to do a one-week city-wide meeting in San Diego that year. To make matters worse, my flight to San Diego from Little Rock went THROUGH St. Louis on game day. (By the way. NOTE TO LITTLE BROTHER: It's up to you! Any of those old ticket connections lingering around MO press circles these days?) Is it against blog protocol to quote yourself? Here's something I wrote last October that really fits this year with a repeat of the 1967 World Series. By the time the Cardinals returned to the World Series in October, 1967, I was in 6th grade. I guess that means my brother would have been a first grader. My sisters would have been 4 and 1. 1967 was the year of the Super Bowl before it had Roman numerals attached to it! In the first ever Super Bowl, Green Bay defeated Kansas City. Also in '67 . . . Mohammad Ali was stripped of his title for draft evasion. Elvis married Priscilla. Christiaan Barnard conducted the first human heart transplant. The big hits at Neosho's Intermediate School were "Windy," "I'm a Believer," and "Come on Down to My Boat." More significantly, it was the year of Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" and the Beatle's "Sergeant Pepper" album. But for me here's what mattered: the Cardinals were in the Series. And by 1967, both Roger Marris and I had seen the light. His playing for the Yankees and my cheering for the Yankees were long behind us. We were Cardinals (in different ways). So back to St. Louis we went for game 3 between the Cards and the Red Sox. This time the game was at the NEW ballpark. In 1964 we were at Busch Stadium I (which had been Sportsman's Park until the team was purchased by Anheiser-Busch in 1953). But now we were in the new Busch Stadium. For game three, here was the Cardinals' batting order (yes, I still have my program and my scorecard I kept that day): Lou Brock, Curt Flood, Roger Marris, Orlando Cepeda, Tim McCarver, Mike Shannon, Julian Javier, Dal Maxvill, and Nelson Brills. The Red Sox were led by Carl Yastrzemski, of course. It was the last time in major league baseball that a player won the Triple Crown. That year Yaz batted .326, hit 44 home runs, and drove in 121 RBIs. But my Cardinals had Bob Gibson. Enough said. Gibson won games 1, 4, and 7. Some day the Red Sox may break the curse for trading Babe Ruth . . . but it wasn't going to be under my (and Bob Gibson's) watch! And . . . as a little added note . . . it won't be this year either!

12 Comments:

  • Mike,
    Hope you get tickets for at least one of the games. Trish & I had tickets for Tuesday night if the Astros had won, but no such luck.
    The Cards did their job and we cheer them on along with you to win it for the National League.
    Hope you get to take one or both of your boys if you go.
    Ray the Blind Man

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/22/2004 05:13:00 AM  

  • It is, yes, absolutely against blog protocol to quote yourself. I am utterly offended.

    Clarissa (Emily Post) Cox

    (Can only comment on that since I don't do sports.)

    By Blogger Clarissa, at 10/22/2004 06:20:00 AM  

  • Morning Mike,

    I have finally joined your Blogging world, I have been really enjoying going back into your old posts. I am so happy for you and the Red birds, they are by far the best team this year. All that I hope for is 7 more great games of ball, after these two playoffs the World Series might be a flop. I hope you are doing well and drop me a note sometime now that I am here.

    Take care and no you can't have Avery without the rest of us, it is a package deal.

    By Blogger Lex, at 10/22/2004 06:37:00 AM  

  • I really enjoyed watching the Cards win but I think I would have enjoyed seeing the Astros win too. My parent's named me after a former Navy buddy that my dad played baseball with Roger Lee Craig, He played a year with the Cardinals.

    Roger was always good friends with Dad, he used to own a stable in Long Beach before he went into coaching, we rode there quite a bit when we were kids.

    But my love for the Cardinals came with my Dad who played a couple of years in Allentown (Cardinals) and Houston Buffs. We still have his old Allentown uniform and Jacket.

    So Go Cardinals beat the Sox!

    But really the Dodgers were the best team but they fell apart.

    By Blogger happytheman, at 10/22/2004 07:35:00 AM  

  • Mike, You might be priest (i.e. excellent sermons every week) and you might even be prophet (i.e. see last line of your post "won't be this year") but you are not pastor. I waited at the quiet place for counseling last night from 7:00 until 11:00 and yet you never came. Well you can imagine my shock and disbelief! I came home and told Kim and she told me that you were probably attending to other important matters - whatever that means?

    Anyway, I was going to tell you at our meeting that a friend of mine from St. Louis had given me two tickets to game 1 of the World Series and I was really confused over what to do with them but that I knew God wanted them given to a "man of the cloth". Well on my way out of the Bible building last night at 11:00 I was so hurt that you didn't show for our counseling session that I gave them to a janitor who works at ACU named Herzog.

    I know he wasn't a man of the cloth but he did have a rag in his pocket. Did I sin?

    By Blogger Joel Quile, at 10/22/2004 07:56:00 AM  

  • Mike, You might be priest (i.e. excellent sermons every week) and you might even be prophet (i.e. see last line of your post "won't be this year") but you are not pastor. I waited at the quiet place for counseling last night from 7:00 until 11:00 and yet you never came. Well you can imagine my shock and disbelief! I came home and told Kim and she told me that you were probably attending to other important matters - whatever that means?

    Anyway, I was going to tell you at our meeting that a friend of mine from St. Louis had given me two tickets to game 1 of the World Series and I was really confused over what to do with them but that I knew God wanted them given to a "man of the cloth". Well on my way out of the Bible building last night at 11:00 I was so hurt that you didn't show for our counseling session that I gave them to a janitor who works at ACU named Herzog.

    I know he wasn't a man of the cloth but he did have a rag in his pocket. Did I sin?

    By Blogger Joel Quile, at 10/22/2004 07:59:00 AM  

  • That's fine, Joel. "Herzog" works for me.

    By Blogger Mike, at 10/22/2004 09:06:00 AM  

  • Mike -- guess I'll take the high road :-)

    I was pulling for St. Louis last night because I want to see the best team IN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE play the best team IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE. We'll find out who the BEST TEAM is only after the series is over. I'll be surprised if it doesn't go 7 games. If it does, isn't it ironic that Clemens pitched last night in your victory and also contributed to us having home field advantage with his melt-down during the All-Star Game . . . :-)

    GO SOX!! And, Mike, I'm sure our friendship will survive . . . right?!? :-)

    By Blogger vtc3po, at 10/22/2004 09:22:00 AM  

  • I lived in Boston for about 6 months and saw The Rocket pitch twice (in 1990). I still have my scorecard from one game. Ripken went 0-5 with 3 K's (one looking)-Clemens had 17 K's that day and allowed only three hits-incredible performance. The Red Sox are my favorite AL team (down with the DH) and I'm afraid that I will be pulling for them. Can't wait to see how well your Cards hit Wakefield and the K-ball! It was really dancing the other night.

    By Blogger Ed Harrell, at 10/22/2004 09:30:00 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Ed Harrell, at 10/22/2004 09:30:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, and am a life-long Tigers fan (yes, it has been difficult in recent years). The first World Series I remember is the '68 Series. Mickey Lolich beat Bob Gibson in game seven and the Tigers took the Series. I still have the front page of the Detroit Free Press from 1968 that says in huge type "WE WIN!"

    I'm glad Boston is in the series -- it is hard to root for the Yankees, despite the fact that they're in the American League. The only time I root for the Yankees is when they play the Braves (sorry, Atlanta fans).

    Hope you get to go to a series game.

    By Blogger Jeff Slater, at 10/22/2004 09:54:00 AM  

  • Beat this, so-called Sox fans: I had a life-sized Dwight Evans poster on my door.

    By Blogger Steve Jr., at 10/22/2004 10:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home