Mike Cope's blog

Friday, November 05, 2004

Not only are moves hard on family (see yesterday's blog), but they're a bit hard on friendships, too. And yet . . . I haven't lived by these two buddies since 1991. We jumped ship that summer, moving to Abilene. Not long after that, one of them moved to New Hampshire. The other musketeer has remained in Searcy. But distance hasn't separated us. So far there have been four weddings. This summer, the other two couples came down for Matt and Jenna's wedding. Afterward, the six of us got away for a couple days. There have been three other weddings: one in the Northeast (I think it was the NH side of the Connecticut River, but it could have been the VT side) and one in Arkansas (which I performed). We were all together for those two. The only time anyone missed a child's wedding so far--of the two remaining children, one is engaged and getting married this summer and the other is in 6th grade--was when Diane and I couldn't go to Searcy at the last minute. I was supposed to be performing the wedding; but I wound up preaching my nephew's funeral that day. Each year Los Tres Amigos meet for a few days in the Northeast. And we get together any other time it's possible. We've cheered teams together (we have differences, but we're united by a hatred for the Yankees); we've celebrated over our kids' accomplishments; we've wept over children's struggles together; we've watched each other age (and at times mature). When Megan died, I immediately called them. One of them is coming to Abilene in a couple weeks and will be speaking in Oasis. He's the best biblical scholar I've ever known -- or at least he's been the most clarifying and helpful to me. The other is my Arkansas doctor who has tended to my asthma, tested my heart, pulled a splinter out of my butt (don't ask), run five marathons by my side (now that is a full service cardiologist!), climbed Kilimanjaro with me, and calmed my hypochondriacal fears. What's the song? Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold. Today I'm thankful for friends--old and new.

5 Comments:

  • Mike, speaking of old friends......Lot Therrio spoke in chapel today at HU! Man, it was GREAT to see him again.
    He got up, quoted the "Sermon on the Mount", and then sat down. It was VERY powerful, and I wished for you.
    The students were impacted, to say the least. As you recall, there were two students on campus during our era that knew EVERYBODY's name........Lot and Dennis Munch. Each were a blessing to me in different ways. I think Lot was recognized as THE leader on campus in the mid 70's.....and rightfully so. This morning, Lot knew everybody by name that came up to him, and it has been 30 years! They guy is amazing...another Neal Pryor!

    Friends are a blessing, aren't they? Old and new! As the classic 70's song went "winter, spring, summer or fall.....all you have to do is call, and I'll be there.
    You've got a friend".

    What a blessing.

    By Blogger David U, at 11/05/2004 11:51:00 AM  

  • Dave - Thanks for the note about Lot. I think he was the RA of Armstrong when we were freshmen. I still remember him with note cards that he was using to memorize as many of the Proverbs as he could. One time Jim Woodroof just read the Sermon on the Mount at College Church. Someone later told him that their child said, "That was the first sermon I've ever understood."

    By Blogger Mike, at 11/05/2004 12:18:00 PM  

  • Okay, the next blog needs to be about the splinter story.

    By Blogger Clarissa, at 11/05/2004 02:06:00 PM  

  • I wouldn't want to live at any other time. We get to keep friends from our pasts through all the transportation and communication advancements of our era unlike no other historical era. Electronic communities afford us the great potential of redefining friendship also. Judging from the 45K hits on this blog, friends are great supply here. Friends are such gifts from God in helping us shape ourselves into decent human beings. I'm glad your thoughts turned toward friends today. It has helped shape me.

    By Blogger WDS, at 11/05/2004 09:11:00 PM  

  • Hey! That child was ME and that comment was probably more bothersome to my daddy than to to Jim Woodruff. I wonder how many of my dad's sermons I had heard (and apparently not understood) by the time I was 5? ha! :)

    By Blogger Mandy, at 11/09/2004 12:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home