Mike Cope's blog

Monday, November 29, 2004

November 21 was the 10th anniversary of Megan's death. But, amazingly, that anniversary marker is now filled with wonderful memories for us. Diane and I spent five days at Sundance in Utah for a wedding. We enjoyed lots of time hiking on trails and soaking up the beauty. But we also enjoyed reconnecting with Arkansas friends: Phil and Annette Herrington, Glen and Nancy Blue (along with their children and daughters-in-law), and Jimmy and Andee Cone. It was especially nice to be with my cousins, Steve and Kathy Stevens and their daughter Juliana. Their home in Little Rock was a fun escape place for us during the Searcy years, so it was nice to have someone to remember Megan stories with. On that morning, I spoke to the little wedding crowd that was gathered at Sundance. Then, I performed the wedding later that morning for Phil and Annette's second daughter. In the evening we all gathered in the private screening room to watch -- what else? -- "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." Here is my journal entry from that day: It's 10:16 a.m. I've just spoken to everyone at a communion service, centering thoughts on the theme "A River Runs Through It." I wanted to mention Megan and how God's unending stream of mercy has washed and revived us again and again these past ten years. But I didn't. I could tell that if one word came out, I would crack and crumble. But I remember so well this very minute on 11/21/94. I thought maybe I'd be obsessing more this morning on all those details. But really--since getting up at 4:00 this morning--I've been thinking about what a blessing Megan was. I can't help but wonder what her last ten years would have been like. I keep thinking about "Searcy Megan"--the energetic little girl who couldn't slow down. But the "Abilene Megan" would have continued to battle sinking health and abilities. I had a daughter. I'm so blessed. I had a daughter who was beautiful and loving. The years will continue to roll on, but that blessing will never fade. And I'm ten years closer to seeing her than I was!

4 Comments:

  • A Holy Wow!

    By Blogger TCS, at 11/29/2004 02:00:00 PM  

  • Taking off shoes. Holy ground.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2004 02:30:00 PM  

  • I never met Megan, but her story, told so beautifully through you has touched me so many times. Don't ever stop talking about her, she has touched so many people just like me who never even met her.

    By Blogger Brandon Moore, at 11/29/2004 09:12:00 PM  

  • Community means others are able to share your grief and pain, and folks like Phil and Judy Hoggard know from experience the road you have traveled. The rest of us surround all of you with love and locked arms knowing that only the Spirit can give us the words to say and the actions to do. And HE surrounds us all!

    By Blogger David U, at 11/30/2004 07:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home