Mike Cope's blog

Sunday, December 19, 2004

A few recommendations. First, even if you're not a documentary person, you've got to see "Super Size Me." Ever wondered what part of the chicken a nugget comes from? Ever wished you knew what would happen to a person if they ate only fast food for a month? Note: be sure to read the appropriate warnings at screenit.com. Also note: this movie is not officially sanctioned by Ronald McDonald. This film will make it hard to shove fast food down your kids just to make life easier! (IMHO, there is nothing wrong with everyone going to Mickey D's or someplace similar on rare occasions. The problem in America is that fast food has become a staple of our diet. The fast food industry is a powerful economic force that gets its hooks in our children early.) Second, Diane and I went to see "Spanglish" yesterday. We were shocked at the powerful message of the film, especially in the last ten minutes. (Again, please check out screenit.com before making decisions about seeing the film.) It is an amazing film about the power of a parent in a child's life -- even when being a parent means saying "no." There's so much more I'd like to write about the last few minutes, but I don't want to spoil it. Third, I want to recommend The End of Faith by Sam Harris. Please note: I'm not endorsing his position (that religion itself rather than religious fundamentalism is ripping our world apart), but I believe Christians need to read insightful books like this. We need to be able to respond without getting mad. I guess I'm all about recommendations and disclaimers today.

4 Comments:

  • 1st things first:

    Today, Mike, was amazing. Your willingness to preach the gospel and not just settle for the health and wealth gospel is a big reason for why we are so blessed week in and week out.

    Secondly, Grant's comments on Friday's blog entry pointed toward "anonymous" when he complimented him on the Psalms was the funniest comment I've read on any blog ever. I was crying I laughed so hard.

    And finally, in regards to this post: Anyone see Christmas w/ the Kranks? Really good. Based on the great book, Skipping Christmas, it reminds us of just how insane Christmas has become. The movie doesn't make the case for Christ but it does point out the emptiness of most of what we worry about with regards to Christmas.

    And since I'm playing the part of e-Ebert via Mike's blog, I'm casting my vote for Family Man as a really good rental (or purchase) to help us focus on what is worthy of priority this season.

    And finally (I know...don't you have your own blog Joel?...) I just reread Cosmic Christmas by Lucado. An amazing account of what might have been the cosmic account of the Christmas story. I know we're talking movies but this is Christmas book well worth the read.

    What part of the chicken exactly are we talking about?

    By Blogger Joel Quile, at 12/19/2004 12:01:00 PM  

  • Mike.

    How about those little kids on "Super Size Me" who couldnt reconize the traditional picture of Jesue, but knew right off the bat who Ronald was. Pretty sad I think.

    In His Service,

    JPL

    By Blogger John Paul Lewis, at 12/19/2004 09:04:00 PM  

  • Seven of us saw Spanglish this weekend. More than any other movie I've seen, your opinion of the the message depends on the character with whom you identify. That was certainly true about our diverse group.

    Dag

    By Blogger dagwud, at 12/20/2004 08:45:00 AM  

  • Thanks for the recommendations, Mike!

    I'll echo Joel's raves for Lucado's "Cosmic Christmas"....I bought it while still at ACU and re-read each year. Just a note though, if anyone is looking for it, they changed the title a few years ago to "An Angel's Story" - guess the "cosmic" part of the title didn't sell so well.

    By Blogger Jenni, at 12/20/2004 08:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home