Mike Cope's blog

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

I plan to arrive a bit late for tonight's Oasis meal at Highland. I've got to watch Tom Brokaw sign off for the last time. He's been bringing us our news for two decades. We've loved his voice, his reliability, and his professionalism. We've also enjoyed through the years hearing him talk in glowing terms about his wife and daughters. Through all these years, I've had no idea what his own political convictions were. He's a political junkee who believed it was his job to deliver the news in the most objective manner possible. (It's never fully objective, of course.) This morning on the "Today Show," I heard him speak in glowing terms about Ronald Reagan, whom he covered first in a California gubernatorial election and then later in the 1980 presidential election. But even then, he carefully spoke about the man and his political abilities rather than about his political convictions. Tom (I call him "Tom" since I've spent so much time with him over the last two decades) said this morning that he was resigning for two reasons: (1) to give someone else their time, just as John Chancellor for him, and (2) to be an involved, rather than "fly-by," grandpa. Not a bad way to exit.

5 Comments:

  • God must be tuning in, too. There is no Oasis meal tonight.

    By Blogger Grant, at 12/01/2004 08:08:00 AM  

  • The BooneBox is right! No Oasis tonight. All right, so this blog isn't the best source of breaking news at the Highland Church.

    By the way, is anyone else having a hard time signing on to leave comments here? It takes me forever, and sometimes won't work. What's up?

    By Blogger Mike, at 12/01/2004 08:43:00 AM  

  • Yes, it took all of a minute and a half to connect....which in internet time is like 2 hours.

    I am not an advocate of the 3 major network news programs, but of those three anchors, Brokaw is in a league by himself. I will at least watch him, in fact I do just about every night! My dad doesn't request me to read very many books, but he pleaded with me to read "The Greatest Generation" until I did, and it impacted me greatly. Brokaw is a man of integrity, and a patriot. He will be missed.

    By Blogger David U, at 12/01/2004 09:32:00 AM  

  • All right. David and I are stumped. We need someone under 40 to figure this out. Why is it taking so long to sign on for comments on blogspot?

    David, old buddy, I'm CNN and you're "Fox News" -- an oxymoron I didn't invent :) -- but we are one in Christ! Ha!

    By Blogger Mike, at 12/01/2004 09:43:00 AM  

  • Bloggers server is slow. That is it.

    By Blogger Joel Quile, at 12/01/2004 03:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home