Mike Cope's blog

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Yesterday was one of those days Bill Murray referred to in "Groundhog Day" when he asked , "Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over?" I came home from the office at 1:00 and Chris was waiting for me. So the games began. We picked sides of the sidewalk, drew boundary lines, and started firing snowballs. I had the most hits, but Chris had the best hit: a baseball-sized one with a bit of slush that landed in the exact middle of my ear. I think pieces of it came out the other ear! Last night we ate Becky-Almanza-tamales in front of the fire while watching "King Arthur." It was a great movie, but there was one tense moment. I'm the guy who's always encouraging parents to check out screenit.com before deciding whether their children can watch a movie or not. But this was KING ARTHUR, for goodness sakes. Sure, the Saxons were going to take an arrow or two to the chest, but that fit our war motif from the afternoon of snowball fighting. I hadn't factored in Guinevere. Late in the movie she entered Arthur's chamber. He put his hand on her knee and headed north. At that moment, I could feel my wife's eyes locked down like a laser beam on my temple. The unspoken question was, "You didn't check this out, did you?" Best I can remember, no one was breathing (in our house, that is -- the others seemed to be breathing fine). I was trying to decide: do I hit the "skip a chapter" button or come up with something clever to say ("I guess they neglected to show the wedding . . ."). Thankfully, the scene cut quickly away. Back to good clean battle scenes. (Even there, it wasn't the bloodfest you'd get in a Mel Gibson movie.) At one point Diane said, "the only thing that could make this more perfect is if Matt and Jenna were with us." Anyway . . . a great day. Today is pack-for-Ohio day. This is an Ohio Christmas year (as every other year since 1978 has been). Enjoy the day, friends.

6 Comments:

  • It is funny now, but wasn't funny then: One of the associate ministers at church had told Jim that "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was a "must see" movie. I had my reservations, but Jim and I loaded up our small children (barely 4 and 6) and went to see it.

    Not long into the movie, I was giving Jim that look. Later, Jim called the guy who had recommended it and he said, "I didn't mean you should take your KIDS!" It would have been fine had they been a bit older, but I guess it didn't warp them too badly.

    Our daughter has found a place in Lubbock that will take videos (but don't know about DVDs) and edit out offending scenes and language for a small fee. It's a nice option to have since there are so many movies that make terrific family viewing with the exception of one little scene or a few choice words.


    Safe travels!

    By Blogger Serena Voss, at 12/23/2004 10:10:00 AM  

  • Mike-
    We'll be thanking God for you and your entire family this Christmas. You just can't beat family--especially when it's family you PICK to be family. WE love you guys. Be safe going to Ohio. Mom is getting settled here. We actually got pictures on walls today and sheets on the guest bed. Slowly but surely she is digging out. Let's talk Fresno sometime soon. Can't wait to see you!
    LOve, BST, Sheryl, Maddie, Ella, and Judy

    By Blogger Brandon Scott, at 12/23/2004 02:37:00 PM  

  • "I guess they neglected to show the wedding . . ."

    Oh man, I'm gonna be laughing about that for the next few days. Mind if I use that one??

    Hope you guys have a WONDERFUL Christmas.

    Much love from Atlanta!

    By Blogger Matt Elliott, at 12/23/2004 05:25:00 PM  

  • I know exactly what you mean. Deana and I were watching The Three Amigos the other day and there's a line in the movie we had totally forgotten about when someone asks "Do you know what foreplay is... good, neither does El Guapo." My dughter promptly asked, "Daddy, what's foreplay?" To which I replied "It's a game for four people." She then went back to her art project.

    By Blogger Chad, at 12/24/2004 05:16:00 AM  

  • My only cmment?

    Merry and Joyful Christmas to each one of you and for your beloved ones.

    For those that are traveling, my prayers are for safe return after a memorable, loving Christmas visit!!

    By Blogger Kathy, at 12/24/2004 06:25:00 AM  

  • Thanks for sending people to Screenit.com. My husband and I have found that site very useful. We have several movie related stories like your King Arthur story, and it's embarassing to recommend a movie to say...an elder at your church and it turn out to have objectionable material that your brain somehow didn't filter out. Ooops! (been there) Hope your family has a wonderful trip to Ohio for the holidays. It's going to be a green/brown Christmas here in south/central Kansas, so I'm a little jealous.

    By Blogger Niki, at 12/24/2004 09:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home