Mike Cope's blog

Monday, January 10, 2005

Last night I got to hear Landon Saunders at the ACU faculty presession. His message was incredible. Many of us talked about it afterward and said things like "Wow, I was 20 years old again tonight" and "The first time I heard Landon I was . . . ." Part of it is the voice, of course. THE VOICE. But much more is the keen sense that this man is pointing you to the way of Christ -- the way of loving human beings -- like no one you've ever heard before. (This fall I had a Landon in my freshman Bible class--one of 10 children in his family. He's one of many "Landons" around the country named by parents after this man who had been so influential in their lives.) We enjoyed having Landon over Saturday evening and then again last night after the presession ended. For a while the first evening, Landon and Chris were alone at the dining table while Diane and I got things in the kitchen. We just smiled as we listened to Landon ask him about his life and tell him stories--especially stories about all the turkeys, deer, bear, foxes, and llamas (yes, llamas) he's seen on his land in Vermont. After he left that evening, Chris said, "That man sure tells good stories." He has no idea! - - - - Friday night was a chance to catch up with my buddy Eddie Parish, who was here to teach a short course at ACU. He and Judy now run the Parish Hermitage, a retreat center just outside Baton Rouge. I'm excited that he's going to be a speaker at the Renovare International Conference this year. - - - - Yesterday morning I interviewed Linda Egle, one of our members who started the Eternal Threads ministry to help young women in SE India get out of poverty--poverty that sends many of them into the sex trade industry. If you don't know much about it, take the time to look through the website. Lots of women at Highland have one of the Sofi tote bags. And each time you purchase one, you know that you're helping to support these young women. The tsunami effected the villages where Linda works. So she and Randy Uthe, a pediatric R. N. and also a Highland member, are going over soon to take a relief package from Healing Hands. But as Linda said yesterday, her concern goes beyond that initial relief (as important as it is). She's concerned that so many people in the villages lost their resources to earn a living. Small fishing boats and nets were washed away. So she's hoping that lots of people will want to help replace those. Linda is trying to make sure that ministers and churches there are centrally involved in the assistance, because they are the ones who will remain behind and be able to enter the lives of the those who were devastated. - - - - Thanks for all the great comments to my last blog. If you haven't read them (especially the 42nd comment by a 19-year-old male), be sure to. There is a wealth of parenting advice there!

6 Comments:

  • My family was visiting New Hampshire years ago, when we stopped into Landon's Heartbeat offices for a visit. Later, as we shopped in that little town, we ran across Landon again. His focus, as it is so often, was on our children. He reached in his pocket and pulled out two, five dollar bills, and handed one to each of our sons. I don't think they had ever been given such a large sum of money at one time before! Such a significant insignificant gesture! Our boys, now grown, still talk about that to this day. For several years now, they both are Landon fans, just like their parents.

    By Blogger MarkS, at 1/10/2005 09:22:00 AM  

  • Landon could probably do a "reunion tour" like a rock star (Paul McCartney comes to mind). I will never forget when he came and spoke to our group in Ft. Worth when I was a teenager. His "voice" gave us so much hope in the midst of so much turmoil of the early '70s (Stephen Covey has a new books that speaks about the power of a "voice"}.

    One thing I remember about this time is what would happen when someone would get a tape of Landon preaching. We would make copies and pass them around as if we were first century Christians getting a letter from Paul.

    Now that I think about it, a "reunion tour" may not be a bad idea (as if I could make that happen).

    By Blogger David Michael, at 1/10/2005 09:25:00 AM  

  • One more thing (maybe): Landon speaks of the fact that the world has yet to fully recognize Paul's value to civilization, and when it does, his writings will turn the world upside down. I think the same is true of Landon (though, respectfully, not the degree of the Apostle, for obvous reasons). Landon's interpretations of the gospel are arguably the most powerful of any 20th/21st century observer. He has not yet been "discovered" by our age, and when he is, I think he will make a tremendous impact for the Kingdom. I am holding onto my Landon tapes (as well as Stanley Shipp's) for the day when the world will cry out for truth as only few can present it. Seldom has there been a prophet such as this man, Landon.

    By Blogger MarkS, at 1/10/2005 10:03:00 AM  

  • You nave a couple of links to Parish hermitage, so I wanted to let you know the web site has moved to http://www.parishhermitage.org/

    <>< Paul

    By Blogger Paul, at 7/22/2005 06:57:00 PM  

  • I have fond memories of the early 70s with our anual Campaign in St. Louis with Landon the speaker. I recently found some of his tapes from 1972 that I hope to digitize and share with my friends. He was a pioneer in the narrative form of preaching that I am sure has influenced Max Lucado and Mike Cope. His voice was like velvet and his stories so to the point that they convicted and brought many to Christ. I consider him one of the top three speakers I have ever heard.

    peace and blessings

    Tim

    By Blogger shaggydoc, at 1/29/2006 07:47:00 PM  

  • I have fond memories of Landon coming to our annual evangelistic Campaign in St. Louis in the early 70s. He was a pioneer in the narrative form of preaching and I am sure he influenced Mike Cope and Max Lucado. I recently found some of his tapes from 1972 and can't wait to listen to them. His style of speaking was like no one else's that I know of and he brought many to Christ.

    By Blogger shaggydoc, at 1/29/2006 07:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home