Mike Cope's blog

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Yesterday morning two of Los Tres Amigos got to go home. Hurrah! We watched Jon Weston and (a few minutes later) Austin leave their rooms to head back to Abilene. It was kind of a lonely feeling for Chris, but he was glad his friends were doing that well. And we had a good day, too. From the outside it would probably seem like baby steps. But from the inside it was gigantic leaps. Chris is now doing some simple exercises and is able to get into a wheelchair for brief periods. He had a couple buddies come up yesterday (plus his two very attentive female cousins who are hovering around him when he's up to it) and they watched ballgames together. Today he has his brother and sister-in-law to watch NFL playoff games with. There was a moment late last night when just the five of us were in the room and prayed that I thought, "Life might one day be 'normal' again." During one of those early dark nights when we were waiting on word about head and lungs, I kept searching in my Ipod for something that would comfort. It came down to one thing: Zoe music. Probably because I could hear the familiar voices and know that those very people were praying for us. The two songs that ministered the most to me were "Come, Ye Sinners" (I know the words "bruised and broken by the fall" are referring to sin . . . but for the moment that spoke to our situation) and "Be Still My Soul." Last night and this morning I was supposed to have been speaking at a Zoe Conference in Fresno. I know it's going well. Well, that's the report from Cook's Children's Hospital this morning. I think my mom and I are going to slip away to early service at Richland Hills. There are so many places I'd like to go this morning: to Burleson to say thanks for all the food; to Grapevine to say thanks for the banner signed by middle schoolers; to . . . . You understand. Thank you all so very much for your prayers. We had one note sent up by someone saying that she is a member of this blog community though we've never met. She just wanted us to know she's thinking about us, praying for us, and would do anything to help if we'd call her. Are there words in the English language to say what that means to a family in crisis?

8 Comments:

  • I am reminded of a strange line at the end of King Lear:
    "The weight of this sad time we must obey;
    Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say."

    For the last week, I have heard your friends truly speak what we feel.

    Your family is loved. You are blessed. It is a new Sunday.
    May we ever praise our Lord.

    By Blogger Larry, at 1/23/2005 04:31:00 AM  

  • We were there for Jon Westin's homecoming yesterday and he said the only thing that made him sad was leaving Chris at the hospital. Chris is being very missed by many boys and their parents. Jon Westin's mom had a new journal on her desk that we picked up to use for guests to sign for Jon Westin. The only entry she had made was dated January 2005. She had written Psalm 51:7-12:7

    "Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness, let the bones which You have broken rejoice. Hide Your face from my sins And blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit."

    Like you Mike, the words had new meaning to all of us. We were in awe. And still we pray for all of you. (Tell Chris Max says hello and can't wait for him to get home.)

    By Blogger Candy, at 1/23/2005 04:59:00 AM  

  • Mike and Diane and Chris,
    This morning Highland will be once again gathering in prayer for all of you. Celebrating life and mourning loss, but worshiping the God who is God over all of it. Praying your homecoming is very soon, but allowing time for proper healing to take place first. Many of us wish we could have been there, but could not or would not because sometimes too much company is worse than none. Just remember all the love and prayers that you may not ever be able to comprehend.
    Praise God even for those baby steps.
    Love you! sarah

    By Blogger Sarah_RN, at 1/23/2005 05:02:00 AM  

  • God uses the ZOE recordings to comfort me often as well. Knowing the hearts behind the voices is a part of that. And there's something so soothing about pure, unaccompanied voices at times ... because of my upbringing, maybe? Anyway -- I've listened to "Desperate" more times than I can count this month alone. (Helps me to hear songs I've worked on, too, somehow.)

    By Blogger Clarissa, at 1/23/2005 05:54:00 AM  

  • Mike, please know that Searcy is still praying for Chris and everybody that has been impacted by this terrible accident. Thanks again for your updates!
    It makes us feel special to know you take the time to do this for us.

    It's not to the level of scripture(duh), but remember what Clarence the angel wrote to Jimmy Stewart in the front cover of the book he left him at the end of "It's a Wonderful Life"....it applies to all of us, but I thought it would especially resonate with you right now.

    Love all of you,
    DU

    By Blogger David U, at 1/23/2005 11:23:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    This year will mark for us 20 years as members of the Highland church and we have seen numerous ways that this body of Christ celebrates as a whole, praises God as a body, and rejoices in suffering and in victories together. However,this morning's worship assembly crystalized for me God's intention for the Body of Christ. We have yet to witness in all our years anything quite like it. I know your family and many others weren't physically present but you might as well have been. To hurt and grieve, as a body, in a posture of worship was an amazing gift and we were all blessed.

    I thought of my favorite character in the LOTR, Samwise Gamgee, and how Tolkien describes his grief..."At last, weary and feeling finally defeated, he sat on a step…and bowed his head into his hands. It was quiet, horribly quiet. The torch, that was already burning low when he arrived, sputtered and went out; and he felt the darkness cover him like a tide. And then softly, to his own surprise, there at the vain end of his long journey, and his grief, moved by what thought in his heart he could not tell, Sam began to sing.”

    I've felt a little like Sam this week (remember at the end of the Return of the King when all he did was cry!) and it was just so good to come together this morning and for some reason....begin to sing.

    It was a blessed event to see Jon Weston be wheeled into the auditorium. Remind Chris that his friends miss him dearly. We will continue to lift you all up to our Father who is great enough to heal fragile bodies and to put a new song in our hearts.

    Love,
    Kelli McK

    By Blogger Kelli McK, at 1/23/2005 01:51:00 PM  

  • Hello my friend. My silence this week only means that words cannot express my profound and overwhelming emotion over this wreck... for you and all involved. We are all forever changed. I am longing to see you and Diane and Chris. My prayers and tears have been unceasing. As Jim Hinkle so eloquently professed this morning at Highland... Emmanuel.

    By Blogger Amy Boone, at 1/23/2005 04:48:00 PM  

  • Emmanuel does some it up...although I am not a member at Highland, I am a member of the faith community and the worship yesterday at Highland was an incredible time of family in the midst of sorrow and joy. Sorrow of the loss of life and injuries, joy in the fact that we have a Creator, Sustainer, Healer, and lover of our souls who is always with us...that is why we worship.

    May God continue to place his healing hand over Chris, Amara, Julie, your family and everyone else who needs healing both physically and emotionally.

    IN HIM, Katherine

    By Blogger Katherine, at 1/24/2005 01:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home