Mike Cope's blog

Friday, February 18, 2005

Chris's cast came off yesterday. Hurrah! Apparently a broken thumb heals quicker than a fractured skull and a fractured vertebrae -- but at least it's progress. Again we stopped by the wreck site on the way back. We saw the cross that has been erected where Brody was pronounced dead. It is holy ground. I don't have words . . . . - - - - Can't wait to see Brandon, Sheryl, and the whole Zoe group. They'll be leading worship at Highland on Sunday morning and then at the ACU lectureship every evening. I had to cancel going to our Fresno worship conference because of the wreck, so I'm anxious to see everyone. There are things happening Sunday that are beyond my control. I insist again that rarely do I choose the texts; the texts choose me (us). Here is the order of worship: "Forever" Welcome (Mike) Call to Worship--(Brandon) "Shout Hallelujah" "Days of Elijah" "O For a Thousand Tongues" "Blessed be Your Name" The Lord's Prayer "Salvation Belongs to our God" Communion Song: "All Who are Thirsty" (Zoe only) Communion ("My Jesus I Love Thee"/"So Are You to Me") Collection (Family Concerns and Pastoral Prayer) "We Are the Body of Christ" Message-Mike (Ecclesiastes 4:7ff) "The Lord Bless you and Keep You"

11 Comments:

  • I agree - texts DO choose us and I can attest to it this morning.

    A dear, dear friend in South Texas had his homecoming at 5:40 this morning. In reading your text for Sunday, I continued reading, including Ecc. 4:2. It helped soothe my grieving heart.

    By Blogger Kathy, at 2/18/2005 06:42:00 AM  

  • Matt Redman is one of my favorite contemporary writers of worship music. Somebody needs to send him a letter or an email and tell him about how "Blessed be Your Name" has ministered to our family during the last few weeks. We can hardly keep it out of anything that we do! We started singing it before the accident, but - like Ecclesiastes - the message in that song seems to have chosen us.

    By Blogger Matt, at 2/18/2005 07:41:00 AM  

  • Progress, no matter how small, reaffirms hope, and with hope all things seem possible. Today, a thumb; tomorrow, mountains!

    I rarely get to sing "Blessed be Your Name" because every time I start to sing the tears flow. I have not been blessed with the ability to sing and cry at the same time, but I know God receives my tears as worship. That song always brings me to a place where I am overwhelmed by God's love.

    I continue to pray for blessings on you and your family.

    By Blogger Lisa McD in FL, at 2/18/2005 08:15:00 AM  

  • Mike-
    We can't wait to see you and your whole family. Tell Chris that everyone is excited to see him on Tuesday too.

    Pray for Melissa--she's really sick.

    By Blogger Brandon Scott, at 2/18/2005 08:19:00 AM  

  • Just re-read my post from earlier this morning, and there was something I said that probably needed more context. When I referred to Blessed be Your Name ministering to "our family," I was referring to the Highland community.

    By Blogger Matt, at 2/18/2005 08:22:00 AM  

  • I'm so looking forward to spending time with my childhood church family this weekend. Sounds like it will be a special, holy day.

    By Blogger Jenni, at 2/18/2005 08:52:00 AM  

  • Can't wait till Sunday!! I know it will be blessed...

    By Blogger Katherine, at 2/18/2005 10:38:00 AM  

  • Wish I could come down, but way to far to drive. So excited to hear about the cast coming off, was it his left or right, and is he a lefty or righty, cause it's time to start working on the grip for his curveball again.

    By Blogger Brandon Moore, at 2/18/2005 01:18:00 PM  

  • I can't wait to be back with the body at Highland and to have those Colonial kids crawling over me for a few days!

    By Blogger Jen, at 2/18/2005 02:54:00 PM  

  • Ok...we'll drive down. It will give us a chance to feed the poor (Jen). Can we sing "Hail, hail, the gang's all here?"

    By Blogger Larry, at 2/19/2005 04:23:00 AM  

  • I was at the service this morning. My family and I traveled from Bentonville, AR to visit my parents for the weekend. It was such a blessing to be in the presence of God and worship this morning among the Highland family.

    Thank you for sharing God's blessings in your lives. You touched my heart in ways that I cannot express.

    I pray that the Lord will heal your wounds.

    Denver

    By Blogger MyFathersSon, at 2/20/2005 04:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home