Mike Cope's blog

Friday, February 04, 2005

John Phipps, a 44-year-old father of three, was on the fateful train that crashed in California on January 26, killing 11 and injuring 200. As it turned out, he was one of the 200 and is now recovering. But at the time, he thought he would be one of the fatalities. He knew he was bleeding profusely and his whole body was trapped. So he began writing with his blood on a seat: "I (heart symbol) my kids. I (heart symbol) Leslie." If you were Leslie (his wife), Shara (22), Jeremy (19), or Josh (15), how do you think that would impact you? A man who thought he was dying wrote his final words (or so he thought) in blood--words of absolute love. If you can't make a spiritual application at this point, we're taking away all your old VBS stickers.

3 Comments:

  • Our lives are truly illustrations, at every moment, of who we really are and of what we really believe. I need to write down more with my own life so that others know what I truly belive as they read me.

    Thanks again for sharing.

    Blessings,
    DPS

    By Blogger Donald Philip Simpson, at 2/04/2005 02:19:00 PM  

  • My son's last words on this side of eternity were to his fiance, "I love you," which he formed around the intubation tubes in a hospital bed at age 19. His spirit resided with God before the next morning dawned. His fiance remains behind. What a legacy she has that her fiance mirrored the one element that disinguishes the Father from the Evil One.

    By Blogger WDS, at 2/05/2005 03:33:00 PM  

  • I saw this man interviewed on TV. In addition to the touching story of the notes, I was struck by what he said after the wreck and he realizes he is bleeding badly. "A little help here". Talk about understatements!

    Here's hoping we say what needs to be said to our loved ones before we have to do it through some other means.

    By Blogger Steve Duer, at 2/07/2005 05:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home