Mike Cope's blog

Thursday, February 17, 2005

We return to Cook's today to see the BONE GUY. Once again, Diane and I will hear completely different things. I'll hear him say, "I think you should start letting him do more. Maybe start pitching a little here and there." Diane will hear him say, "Be very cautious. We can't take any chances at this stage." How is that possible? It must be HIS fault in communication! - - - - I was just remembering my first day "on the job" as a real, live local minister in Wilmington, North Carolina. I had no idea what to do. Isn't that incredible? Four years of college, ninety hours of graduate study, and no idea what I was supposed to do. Other than get two sermons and two classes ready each week. THAT I was prepared for. All that Greek (seven years) and Hebrew (two years), all those homiletics classes -- yes, yes, I was ready for that. I'm so thankful for the way seminary training is changing. We're preparing ministers to do more than go study (as important as it is to be theologically informed). There's a focus all the way through now on practical theology. There are requirements to do internships -- to peek over the shoulders of people who are already doing it well. But to be honest, I don't think I could train many of the young ministers for what's in their hearts. They want to do something that is grassroots, missional, and messy. While I may not be able to train, I fully intend to be a cheerleader for these young men and women. May God fill them with his dreams!

4 Comments:

  • It is exciting to see something new in churches, in ministry training, in hearts. In fact, the new wine is bursting from the old wineskins.

    I share your excitement for the weaving together of the new wineskins, though it is messy.

    By Blogger Fajita, at 2/17/2005 02:41:00 PM  

  • As one of those who is in training for ministry...it is nice to have cheerleaders like you! Thanks a ton for the encouragement...and blessings on your ministry!! It can be messy...but that is where the ministry begins, right?!

    By Blogger Katherine, at 2/17/2005 05:22:00 PM  

  • Sometimes, that is really what peope need. Someone on the sidelines cheering you on! And you can help people with their hearts... sometimes you can show someone something they never saw before, and it can open a world of new things for them. Trust me, people can see how much you love God. It really does show, and just that is enough to cheer them on.

    By Blogger Emily, at 2/17/2005 07:15:00 PM  

  • I just had that "first day" as a local preaching minister 8 months ago. After years of youth ministry and moving into preaching. I hope and pray you and others like you can train us in the grassroots, missional, and messy...if not you and those like you, who will?

    By Blogger Brian Mashburn, at 2/19/2005 09:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home