Mike Cope's blog

Monday, March 28, 2005

I didn't really go out on a limb with my pick this year. I have the Tar Heels. But at least I'm in the final four. It goes back to my first preaching ministry in Wilmington, NC. The state is hoops crazy. But when you have UNC, NC State, Duke, and Wake Forest (all of whom got in the 64 this year . . . along with UNC-Charlotte), there is good reason to be unreasonable about college basketball. Plus, there was that time we met Michael Jordan in the parking lot of the mall in Wilmington . . . . When was the last time there were so many incredible games in the quarterfinals? I had nothing at stake in the Michigan State/Kentucky game -- not particularly liking either of them (probably knowing they'd be playing UNC), but that was a great game. Had a good, exhausting time at the Tulsa Workshop this weekend. The nice thing about the Friday night keynote is that you could bomb and people would think it was a great night. They've already been worked into a frenzy by Keith Lancaster and Jerome Williams! Met lots of people from this blog community there. So glad you came up to visit. Back to Megan's grave yesterday morning. Our 11th Easter to be there, but only the second time with snow on the ground. This year we were joined by the Bourland family and afterward went to Brody's grave. I hurt for them as I think of the long journey of grief ahead. But they are amazing people with a strong extended family. Later today, time to start cranking up for "Stream in the Desert."

9 Comments:

  • Mike,

    I am humbled and continually blessed by the sharing of your thoughts and life through this BLOG and especially being a part of the faith community at Highland. It is helping me to better tell the story of God's workings around and in my life.

    By Blogger Donald Philip Simpson, at 3/28/2005 07:00:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    I didn't get to say hi or hug your neck but I was one of the many worked into a frenzy Friday night. It was a blessing to hear God's call from you to be an every day missionary. Thanks for sharing your life.

    By Blogger Clint, at 3/28/2005 07:56:00 AM  

  • Mike, is it OK if I ask how old Megan was when she died and what she died of?

    By Blogger Blogging by Tina, at 3/28/2005 08:55:00 AM  

  • Mike, is it OK if I ask how old Megan was when she died and what she died of?

    By Blogger Blogging by Tina, at 3/28/2005 08:55:00 AM  

  • Glad my michigan spirit could pull through over some of the blasted southerners.. Great game!

    By Blogger Phyllistene, at 3/28/2005 09:01:00 AM  

  • My daughter, Hope Victoria, would have been a year old this Sunday, April 3. We discovered that we lost her about 17 weeks into my wife's pregnancy (is it ok to say "our" pregnancy?)-- and the loss was devastating.

    I wept for joy when we got to "meet her" at our first ultrasound. Then I wept in bitter pain as I watched my wife weep over the loss. I felt so helpless in trying to comfort Trisha.

    I am learning a lot about life through this process of bearing kids. I have held my wife's hand through the valley of infertility and screamed praises on the mountain top of holding my beautiful kids for the first time. I now know that the size of the coffin has no bearing on the size of the grief. I now understand that having great faith in God and trusting His provision doesn't keep you from being crushed by the pain of loss.

    Mike, my heart joins you as you mourn the loss of your beautiful baby girl. I'll be hanging with you this weekend at Stream. You'll know it's me because I'll be weeping as we sing "Blessed Be Your Name". --bw

    By Blogger Ben, at 3/28/2005 01:07:00 PM  

  • A quote from a comforting little book I found recently:

    "Some survivors try to think their way through grief. That doesn't work. Grief is a releasing process, a discovery process, a healing process. We cannot release or discover or heal by the use of our minds alone. The brain must follow the heart at a respectful distance. It is our hearts that ache when a loved one dies. It is our emotions that are most drastically affected. Certainly the mind suffers, the mind recalls, the mind may plot and plan and wish, but it is the heart that will blaze the trail through the thicket of grief." --from A TIME TO GRIEVE: Meditations for Healing After the Death of a Loved One by Carol Staudacher

    By Blogger David Michael, at 3/28/2005 07:44:00 PM  

  • Thanks for asking about Megan, Tina. She was ten when she died.

    And Ben -- thanks for sharing your journey of joy and loss. "Blessed Be Your Name" has become our congregational anthem this year. I've had to think carefully through the chorus -- "you give and take away" (which comes from Job -- but means different things to different people!) -- but I think it rings true as understood through the story of Jesus Christ.

    By Blogger Mike, at 3/29/2005 04:32:00 AM  

  • I don't write regularly but here it is anyway.
    www.kaseylanemccollum.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Kasey Lane McCollum, at 3/30/2005 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home