Mike Cope's blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Wise words from Henri Nouwen: When suddenly you seem to lose all you thought you had gained, do not despair. Your healing is not a straight line. You must expect setbacks and regressions. Don't say to yourself, "All is lost. I have to start all over again." This is not true. What you have gained, you have gained." Sometimes little things build up and make you lose ground for a moment. Fatigue, a seemingly cold remark, someone's inability to hear you, someone's innocent forgetfulness, which feels like rejection -- when all these come together, they can make you feel as if you are right back where you started. But try to think about it instead as being pulled off the road for a while. When you return to the road, you return to the place where you left it, not to where you started. It is important not to dwell on the small moments when you feel pulled away from your progress. Try to return home, to the solid place within you, immediately. Otherwise, these moments start connecting with similar moments, and together they become powerful enough to pull you far away from the road. Try to remain alert to seemingly innocuous distractions. It is easier to return to the road when you are on the shoulder than when you are pulled all the way into a nearby swamp. In everything, keep trusting that God is with you, that God has given you companions on the journey. Keep returning to the road to freedom.

9 Comments:

  • Thanks Mike - I needed that reminder today.

    By Blogger Jenni, at 3/15/2005 06:00:00 AM  

  • Wow. Great quote. Is that from one of his books or some other source?

    By Blogger reJoyce, at 3/15/2005 06:25:00 AM  

  • THANK YOU!!! You don't know how much I needed to read these words this morning...

    By Blogger Jana, at 3/15/2005 06:36:00 AM  

  • Timely words of wisdom! Thanks for sharing that.

    By Blogger Karen, at 3/15/2005 08:28:00 AM  

  • I was flying high on Sunday...on top of the world Monday morning...and pulled over to the side of the road by Monday night. Thanks for those words.

    I know that Nouwen is a hero of Philip Yancey's. I'm beginning to see why.

    By Blogger Thurman8er, at 3/15/2005 08:54:00 AM  

  • Great post-thanks SO much for sharing!! I feel like I am pulled more and more to the swamp than I am just off to the shoulder.

    I love Nouwen's writings-they are always so profound and a blessing.

    By Blogger Katherine, at 3/15/2005 02:03:00 PM  

  • This is from Nouwen's THE INNER VOICE OF LOVE. Maybe my favorite Nouwen book.

    By Blogger Mike, at 3/15/2005 04:55:00 PM  

  • Mike

    What a refreshing quote from Nouwen. Thanks for providing it for us to read. I must get the book now! Nouwen's writing is good in small bites and deserves periods of contemplation and reflection. I especially enjoy his writings concerning folks who are developmentally delayed and mentally challanged.

    We met several years ago when your family moved to Abilene. I was Megan's case manager at Bowie and Thomas. My how time does pass us by. I can't be that much older now, can I?

    My son who lives at Abilene State School is now 27. He has been there for 22 years. He holds such a special place in my heart and in so many ways draws me closer to God every time we visit. But here is the kicker - - - Scott can't talk. He is so responsive to the simple love of God that I share with him. Scott communicates his love in beautiful and meaningful facial expressions and happy sounds.

    I so appreciate your mention of Megan. Her affect still lingers in my heart. Your reflections on her have moved me to more meaningful times spent with my son.

    Thank you my brother.

    Pat

    By Blogger Pat White, at 3/15/2005 05:49:00 PM  

  • Henri Nouwen is my favorite spiritual inspiration author. His writings seem to both convict and comfort. After he died I read several biographies written about his life. As I read about his struggles and insecurities, I was even more drawn to his writings. Anyone who has ever struggled with their identity and with a sense that they are loved, would be blessed immensely by the words of Henri. Thank you for sharing these words, I must go now and dry off.

    By Blogger David Michael, at 3/16/2005 06:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home