Mike Cope's blog

Saturday, May 21, 2005

It's fantastic. Wesa happy. Back to the best of Lucas' Star Wars. Really even better than I expected after hearing the positive responses on the blog the past couple days. Dark? Oh, yes. Way dark. But he's going to the DARK side. The film gives a rather complex answer to the question of why a person becomes evil. It's fear . . . and misguided love . . . and anger . . . and deception. Rather profound, really. The same question that great writing often deals with. (Remember plowing through Dostoevsky? or high school Shakespeare plays?) - - - - Today we're headed to the Ballpark to see the Rangers and Astros. Yoda yesterday; two Texas teams today. Good weekend. - - - - My alma mater (Harding) just named a very good man as the new dean of the College of Bible and Religion. (He's also been named a Vice President.) I want to emphasize again: he's a very good man. But as one alumnus, I'm puzzled. How can they name as dean of a college someone without a doctorate? (I think he has the same degree as I do from Harding Graduate School. Maybe I was a candidate, too, and didn't know it.) I was told by Harding people that when the new dean of the College of Business Administration was named (another good man -- the president's son), he didn't have a doctorate either. Maybe I just don't understand this whole accreditation thing. I keep hearing of all the changes and requirements being made at ACU in the College of Biblical Studies because of accreditation. Just hard to imagine that a dean -- the academic head of a college within a university -- doesn't have to have a terminal degree. But what do I know. I assume it's all right for an alumnus to ask this question. - - - - Recently I wrote about two young couples going from Highland this summer to Rwanda (the Kendall-Balls) and Sudan (the Shearins). Someone sent a very large check to our financial person at Highland, asking to be anonymous. So I don't know who it is. But this person wrote on the check, "keep blogging, Mike." So, whoever you are, THANKS. I will try to provide an update soon on where they are with the fund-raising.

13 Comments:

  • I would think it is a completely appropriate question to ask; especially as an alumnus. It is perhaps an even more appropriate question given the fact that the new Associate Dean is a very well qualified man with a terminal degree.

    Could it be that politics are hard at work again in Searcy? Wait, that couldn't be...not at a Christian Institution, right?

    You pose an interesting question.

    By Blogger Bill the Blogger, at 5/21/2005 06:09:00 AM  

  • MY daughter saw the Rwanda presentation at Highland a few weeks back and was moved. She has a missionary heart.

    Eargerly anticipating the link Mike, and by the way, I read your blog first thing every morning. You bless me bro.

    By Blogger Hoots Musings, at 5/21/2005 06:12:00 AM  

  • I agree with you, Mike. I've been threatening to write on article on academic incest. It occurs so much at our Christian schools. What do you think?

    By Blogger drjimwhite, at 5/21/2005 08:07:00 AM  

  • I also saw The Revenge of the Sith last night and loved it. I also blogged about it. (Insert self promotion.......HERE!

    Enjoy the baseball game, and while I'm sure you are a Ranger fan, I will forgive you. If you want to say a little "Woo-hoo!" for the 'Stros just once for me, I would appreciate it. And so would my boys. They needs it.

    By Blogger Kyle, at 5/21/2005 09:07:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    Several years ago I went to a TNT reunion at Harding during the summer. It was interesting how quite a few of us were magnetically drawn to each other, even though we hadn't seen each other in years. Most of us were Bible majors at Harding, and we began discussing our frustration of the "conservative" direction the Bible department and the university was heading. However, we all had friends on the faculty that were perceived to be less traditional and are very spiritual and incredible individuals.

    Maybe it is just me, but over the years I have opened up my alumni magazine with the hopes of reading that Max Lucado was speaking, or Lynn Anderson was being honored as the outstanding alumni, or even that Mike Cope was the key note speaker at the lectureship. It would be nice to read that Jars of Clay or DC Talk gave a concert or that John Stott gave a lecture. Maybe some of these things have happened over the years and I am not aware of it.

    However, because of Harding's direction versus ACU's direction, I encouraged my kids to go to ACU. This coming fall, I will have a son who is a junior, and a daughter who will be a freshman.

    As far as the new dean goes, yes he is a great guy (I remember him from college days). But I think that the number of terminal degrees, although important, are less important to most parents than the atmosphere created by the administration. Is this a university where "grace is in place?"

    ACU is that university for my kids.

    By Blogger David Michael, at 5/21/2005 09:51:00 AM  

  • DB, I appreciate your comment. Even if you were in TNT! :) Questions are a good thing, Mike.
    Especially when they are motivated out of love and care, which I know first hand IS the case when you asked this question.

    By Blogger David U, at 5/21/2005 12:34:00 PM  

  • Addressing only the one section with which I'm acquainted or have any input to add, may I say,

    !!!!!GO PADRES!!!!!!

    We're first in NL West. Young Jake Peavey swamped the Mariners last night - now let's hope the Dodgers continue their historical middle season nosedive and that our Brian Lawrence can continue what Peavey started, swattin' down those pesky Mariners. LOL

    I'm beginning to develop an interest, with accompanying loyalty for the Strobs. But boy do they have a long way to go!!! 11 games out of first place. Whew!!

    Finally, a pox on the AL. Maybe one day they'll realize that whatever they think they're playing, it isn't BASEBALL!! LOL

    By Blogger Kathy, at 5/21/2005 12:44:00 PM  

  • I too am a Harding alum (2003, BA in Preaching). As a current grad student at ACU the differences between the two schools are striking. One thing I do appreciate about the professors I was able to learn under at Harding was that there was a balance. Some professors were certainly more traditional in their approach than others. I think the McLarty/Cox duo will make a great team!

    By Blogger Josh Kellar, at 5/21/2005 03:02:00 PM  

  • Mike,

    That a way to pick a game. Nothing like seeing the Rangers set a franchise-record for homers in a game. There is nothing like the home run celebration at the Ballpark! Our Rangers need John Lackey and his Angels to fall off a little so we can make up some ground!

    By Blogger Jim Gardner, at 5/21/2005 05:18:00 PM  

  • You didn't see a ball game, you saw a murder!

    By Blogger Steve Duer, at 5/21/2005 08:00:00 PM  

  • Ok Mike as a father I am scum of the earth right now. My 9 year old IS the last person on the planet to see Star Wars 3. I also have a 5 year old that loves to play Star Wars and sometimes likes to watch. I have read reviews, I know Lucas said he didn't think it was for a 5-6 year old. What about a 9 year old? I know we can't remove them from the world, but at the same time there are some things I don't want them to see yet. Is it 9 year old safe? And from all of us, Keep Blogging!

    By Blogger TCS, at 5/23/2005 08:30:00 AM  

  • TCS - Yikes. Hard call. My suggestion is see it for yourself without your 9-year-old and then decide.

    By Blogger Mike, at 5/23/2005 09:37:00 AM  

  • I think it is refreshing that Harding might have chosen a man based on his character (being a very good man)rather than his academic credentials.

    Faced with his very important new task, this post does not seem very encouraging.

    By Blogger Leland, at 5/27/2005 08:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home