Mike Cope's blog

Thursday, June 30, 2005

As Jimmy Buffett puts it, "It's been a lovely cruise." We just finished a week aboard the Carnival Spirit (without ever seeing Kathy Lee), sailing from Anchorage to Vancouver. For my parents' 50th anniversary, which they celebrate this summer, they wanted to take their children and spouses on an Alaskan Cruise. We have been surrounded by the beauty of God's creation -- animals (bear, moose, bald eagles, otters, whales, etc.), mountains, glaciers, and ocean -- for the past week. Nothing restores my spirit like mountains. The rest was bonus. And we ate . . . and ate . . . and ate. Like hobbits. My parents were married in the summer of 1955. Eleven months after they married, I arrived. Their first year of marriage was spent in Pittsburgh, PA, where Dad was stationed. Then after a brief stay in Neosho, MO, we moved to Austin for two years, where they finished their degrees in journalism (Dad) and English (Mom). The other 47 years of their marriage have been in Neosho. I'll probably write more about it in August when the actual anniversary date arrives. But needless to say, I'm very thankful for their love that has survived and thrived through the past five decades.

11 Comments:

  • Did you have a "second breakfast"?

    Glad you had a time of refreshing - but glad to have you back reporting from the front again.

    By Blogger J A Pierpont, at 6/30/2005 07:07:00 AM  

  • Welcome back! I've been having withdrawal symptoms because of you not being able to post......and I doubt I am the only one!

    Please give my congrats to your wonderful parents! We still miss seeing them around here.

    DU

    By Blogger David U, at 6/30/2005 07:17:00 AM  

  • David U is not the only one...I've been having withdrawals myself. I've resorted to blogging about 2 or 3 times a day now, since I've had nothing else to do. (Suppose I could actually WORK, but that's too common.) Glad you're back and happy anniversary to your parents. Mine just celebrated their 36th.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 6/30/2005 07:28:00 AM  

  • I echo the above expressed thoughts!!

    Welcome back! :o)

    By Blogger Kathy, at 6/30/2005 08:14:00 AM  

  • Welcome back! We missed you at Highland last Sunday. We were there for Passport weekend with our daughter. This dude named Rick Atchley did okay.

    BTW -- Did you know there is now a cruise out of Galveston? Maybe next time you can go on a cruise where there is some real beauty. I think the oxygen masks are optional.

    By Blogger David Michael, at 6/30/2005 09:06:00 AM  

  • yes welcome back. i was beginning to think that you quit.

    did you get a chance to see any of vancouver? our minister left arlington to preach there. they have a stainglass thing in their window of bluebonnets. did you see it? his name is martin moore.

    just thought i'd ask. it is good to have you back.

    By Blogger k2, at 6/30/2005 09:13:00 AM  

  • Mike--welcome home. Call me when you get a minute.

    On a side note--when I entertained for Norwegian Cruise Line therer was a factoid running about that stated that the average--the AVERAGE--weight gain on a 7 day cruise (which our ship did) was 8 lbs. That's scary. That's also why the entertainers had "weigh-ins" every week and if we were over our "show weight" 3 times, we were fired. Made you feel like a show pig or something.

    By Blogger Brandon Scott, at 6/30/2005 10:36:00 AM  

  • Well, I would have to agree with everyone else and say that I, too, am GLAD YOU'RE HOME! Unfortunately, I probably won't see you because we're leaving tomorrow for Itu, Brazil. (The rest of the team left today; my family has a later flight because of my dad's job.) Anyway, give my love to Diane. I can't wait to hear about all the details of your beautiful cruise when I get back. Have a wonderful time in Guatemala! I love you!

    By Blogger Heather A, at 6/30/2005 01:39:00 PM  

  • I know what you mean. I'm sitting on the back porch in Alaska right now watching some ducklings on the boat dock at the edge of the lake. Tomorrow, my best friend and I are climbing a mountain that we used to love to climb as kids.

    By Blogger Chad, at 6/30/2005 11:59:00 PM  

  • ME & MY DAD SAW YOU AT HASTINGS!!!!

    :)

    -katy-

    By Blogger katy taylor, at 7/01/2005 06:29:00 PM  

  • Lea Anne and I did the north-bound cruise (Vancouver to Anchorage) 3 years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary. And a second Alaskan cruise 4 weeks ago - 7-day loop out of Seattle.

    Did you find that you needed about a week to 'decompress' from all the MAJESTY that you can take in? You can't really describe it - folks have just got to go there on their own...

    By Blogger Kevin Hammond, at 7/07/2005 07:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home