Mike Cope's blog

Monday, June 06, 2005

Yesterday morning was a day of commissioning at Highland. Now (those of you from HCC), having been commissioned by your brothers and sisters, go out as ministers of reconciliation in a broken world! - - - - Jerry Sittser has the right to speak, having lost his wife, his daughter, and his mother in a tragic accident. These words really resonate with me: "Recovery is a misleading and empty expectation. We recover from broken limbs, not amputations. Catastrophic loss by defnition precludes recovery. It will transform us or destroy us, but it will never leave us the same. There is no going back to the past, which is gone forever, only going forward to the future, which has yet to be discovered. Whatever that future is, it will, and must, include the pain of the past with it. Sorrow never entirely leaves the soul of those who have suffered a severe loss. If anything, it may keep going deeper. But this depth of sorrow is the sign of a healthy soul, not a sick soul."

5 Comments:

  • I've heard a lot about yesterday's sermon, Mike. It had a big impact on many. Wish I had been there to be commissioned. I was busy with the middle schoolers - breaking through. And I love the quote from Jerry Sittser. That rings true for sure.

    By Blogger Candy, at 6/06/2005 06:36:00 AM  

  • Profound words from Mr. Sittser. Thank you Mike for posting it them. I have someone who can benefit from them and relate to them.

    Tony

    By Blogger Tony Arnold, at 6/06/2005 08:03:00 AM  

  • Your post today reminds me very much of a couple of others I've read in just the past couple of days that are very good and along the same lines, including John Mark Hicks' last two posts at Professing Professor.

    David Barnett wrote yesterday (in "A CORE Life") about his own experiences with loss and sorrow, but also about The Blessings of a Scar:

    '. . . scars remind us of a painful past, but they can also lead our minds to a peaceful present. My “favorite scar” reminds me of what God has brought me through. Also, when I see my hands, it often takes me back to my birth father holding and comforting me. It is with this memory that my heart connects with the words of the Apostle Paul who understood the blessings of a difficult life:

    "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." II Corinthians 1:3-4'

    Thanks for sharing Jerry Sittser's words and deep feelings with us today.

    By Blogger Dee O'Neil Andrews, at 6/06/2005 11:05:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    What a powerful thought! This teaches and proclaims that deep sorrow and grief are a part of a healthy, productive journey. Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger Lauren, at 6/06/2005 06:57:00 PM  

  • You guys are so gay!! And really you should honestly think about your lives. It's truly shameful and pathetic. And Candy, your comment was so politically incorrect and made everyone who read it made them a little bit dumber and lower all of our IQ's lose 10 points. That's how stupid your comment was. And Mike Cope, oh what can't i say about Mike Cope. Why are you making these people's life so much more pathetic then it was before. I mean, You let someone names Sittser preach to you guys!!! What the heck is Sittser talking about. Lord doesn't even know!! and last of all Dee O'Neil, you seriously should save up for 20 years and invest in a plastic surgery for you face and body. And your hair, might as well buy a wig!! EEEEWWWW!! Once again, I love to hate all of you!

    By Blogger Austinflamer, at 2/18/2006 05:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home