Mike Cope's blog

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

After our 10 1/2 hour trip from Colorado Springs to Abilene yesterday, they quickly repacked and continued their journey to Houston. He'll be a 2nd year med student at Baylor; she'll be a 2nd year 2nd-grade teacher. For the past 30 days, I've spent almost every waking hour with my older son. What a great blessing! We studied language together at Christian Spanish Academy in Antigua, Guatemala. And on weekends, we went by foot, bike, van, bus, and plane all around that beautiful country. We hiked up a volcano (Pacaya--still very much active), we biked on the slopes of another one (Agua), we explored the incredible Mayan ruins in Tikal, and we rode lanchas up the Rio Dulce and around Lake Atitlan. It's a joy to connect with your kids when they're kids; but it's a whole other kind of joy to connect with them when they're adults. Now, a note to all those cheering on our language studies. When you first see me, please do not: (1) ask if I'm fluent yet (no); or (2) speak rapidly to me in Spanish. We gained a lot of ground. And with our teachers -- who speak slowly and distinctly within our vocabulary range -- we did quite well. But there is a long ways to go!

6 Comments:

  • Now you need to go check out the volcanoes in Rwanda...maybe you can take Chris on THAT trip.

    Karisimbi, Muhabura...you could hit all six peaks in less than a week, and pump some much needed moolah into the local economy at the same time!

    By Blogger Greg Kendall-Ball, at 8/02/2005 06:48:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    I haven't heard it but I'm sure someone is grumbling about you being away so much. I'm not. You run marathons and understand that only those who pace themselves will finish. Sprinters don't finish marathons. I am so glad you went out of the country to learn language. I'm sure you've learned way more than language. I know you have another two semesters worth of faith stories for our faith community because of the experiences of this summer. But I'm most grateful for the time you've spent with your family.

    Mike, you are an excellent preacher. You can guide me through the pages of scripture and up the mountain of theology anytime. But what I love about you the most is your love for your family.

    The way you lead Highland is impressive. The way you lead your listeners is incredible. But the way you lead your family...that is your legacy!

    By Blogger Joel Quile, at 8/02/2005 11:07:00 AM  

  • Are you still watching a lot of Univision to, uh, help you learn Spanish? :-)

    By Blogger Matt Elliott, at 8/02/2005 11:38:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    My wife and I were in Antigua last October. What a great place! We climbed up Pacaya as you did. When we got back down, our guide showed us pictures of an eruption that took place 2 weeks before our climb. Yikes, that baby IS active! I hope you got to wander into the Casa Santo Domingo hotel. Its one of the most beautiful/unusual hotels I've ever seen (not that I stayed there!).

    Take care!

    By Blogger slipperycatsanddogs, at 8/02/2005 09:15:00 PM  

  • Slippery - Yes, we did wander over to Casa SD hotel. Just incredible. We didn't stay there either, but it was fun just to look around.

    By Blogger Mike, at 8/03/2005 05:30:00 AM  

  • I have to second Joel here and say that I, too, love your love for your family most. Your entire family has a very special place in my heart, and I just wanted you to know how blessed I am to be a part of your lives, as well as to be under your spiritual leadership at Highland! I love you!

    By Blogger Heather A, at 8/03/2005 04:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home