Mike Cope's blog

Thursday, September 15, 2005

I have a wonderful picture I took from Chris's first football game. (Yes, the same Chris I was pushing in a wheelchair four months ago.) It's a picture of my 5'3" 7th grader, a cornerback, close to the line of scrimmage to guard the 6'4" 7th grade wide receiver from Mann Middle School. In the back of the picture you can see that help is on the way: his friend, a 4'10" safety, is running over to assist. - - - - I was in New York City Tuesday and saw more limos than there are cars in Abilene. Turns out the heads of state of 160 countries are in NYC for the U. N. session. That might explain why I couldn't find a hotel room anywhere. Actually, I did learn that there were rooms in the $500-1200/night range. How can so many people pay so much for a hotel room? (Thanks to our friends there who put me up Tuesday evening!) While I was there, I got to meet Ira Lester Hays, the younger brother of Sophia and the son of Joe and Laura Hays. So many of you have been praying for him. Ira has spent his whole life in NICU at Children's Hospital in Upper Manhattan. He probably thinks that's what every baby does. His parents, in their faithful love, are heroes of mine. All this happened just after they planted a church in Brooklyn. Many prayers continue that little Ira's lungs will continue to develop. - - - - I found out that Laura shares a passion of mine: Kudo bars. And we both agree that the chocolate chip Kudo bars are by far the best, but NO ONE carries them anymore. They are nowhere around here, and she can't find them in Brooklyn. Two confessions. First, I found a grocery store in Malibu that carries the chocolate chip bars. So I bought the five boxes they had and carted them back to Abilene. Apologies to my friends at Pepperdine. Second, I have at times, in desperation, bought a "variety pack" just to get the three choc chip bars. I set the others out for Chris to eat. The whole "don't-cast-your-pearls-to-swine" thing. If any of you out there in blogdom know where chocolate chip Kudo bars can be purchased, Laura and I would like to know. I don't know about her, but I am willing to pay a handler's fee for anyone who can supply me. So . . . is this what an addiction looks like? - - - - I just joined the world of podcasts, subscribing to the NPR "Most E-Mailed Stories." It was wonderful catching up to stories from the last week on my trip to NYC.

19 Comments:

  • Try - http://storefinder.mmmars.com/kudos/kudos.htm

    If you can't find any near you - let me know I will hook you up.

    Stonebridge

    By Blogger J A Pierpont, at 9/15/2005 04:55:00 AM  

  • One of the best cornerbacks in the state is 5'4" Darren Koneshack of Katy High School. It is amazing to watch him cover 6'2" wide receivers. It helps that he has 4.4 speed.

    By Blogger David Michael, at 9/15/2005 05:08:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    Netgrocer.com has them. You can also ask the manager at United. Many times they are willing to order an item at least one time.

    By Blogger Robyn, at 9/15/2005 05:27:00 AM  

  • you should also listen to morning stories from wgbh in boston.

    http://www.wgbh.org/article?item_id=2020890

    By Blogger freebyrd, at 9/15/2005 06:01:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    An addict never would have mentioned Laura.

    By Blogger dagwud, at 9/15/2005 06:24:00 AM  

  • Dagwood - That's hilarious. You're right: let her find her own source. Robyn - you're right. Choc Chip Kudo's for sale on the net!

    By Blogger Mike, at 9/15/2005 06:31:00 AM  

  • Oh, I've been outed!! All I ask is that you leave some for me. Mike, thanks again for everything this week.

    By Blogger Laura, at 9/15/2005 07:07:00 AM  

  • Don't worry - I have a few 5'6" boys playing varsity corner for me. Also, Coach Warren likes those Cope boys - Matt was a good LB. God bless you for taking care of the Hays family.

    By Blogger Byron, at 9/15/2005 07:19:00 AM  

  • ebay.. they have everything..

    By Blogger katy taylor, at 9/15/2005 07:19:00 AM  

  • If I had a talking hampster, I'd take the little fellow to the fair to see the big wheel. Upon seeing it, he'd be speechless. Just letting out little gasps for joy.

    By Blogger racheat, at 9/15/2005 08:01:00 AM  

  • "Is this what addiction looks like?"
    No. A real addict, not only would not mention Laura, but would try to convince all of blogdom that "I don't really need kudos. I can do without them if I want to. I can quit anytime. They don't control me....." The real question, though, is have you ever contemplated stealing a kudo bar? Have you ever conspired to take someone else's chocolate chip kudo bar and replace it with a regular kudo bar that you took a brown magic marker and painted brown dots on it to make it look like a chocolate chip kudo bar? Have you ever been next to someone with a chocolate chip kudo bar on their plate and you told them to "Hey, look up in the sky, quick, an alien mother ship is about to land in that field over there....." while you swipe their kudo bar when they are not looking and then try to look as if nothing happened when they see their kudo bar is missing?

    (please tell me your answer is no to all of the above!)

    By Blogger Brad, at 9/15/2005 08:47:00 AM  

  • Mike-
    It is your cousin Nichole, I get Kudo Bars all the time, Chocolate Chips ones, I get them a Wal-Mart, they are usually in the isle with the breakfast bars and stuff. I didnt know anyone else liked them but me and my little sister, Gabrielle! I would love to see that picture of Chris and that huge 7th grader!
    Love-
    Nichole

    By Blogger Nichole, at 9/15/2005 09:05:00 AM  

  • Here's the number for the Kudos company. 800-551-6795. I'm sure they can hook you up with a direct to you service.

    We're back in our building for the first time this Sunday since the hurricanes last year after $600,000 in repairs! Maybe we should celebrate with some Kudos!

    Rock on it.

    By Blogger Steve Puckett, at 9/15/2005 01:37:00 PM  

  • pardon the interuption of the Kudos and great american pastime (which is a synonym?), if you've ever felt like a hampster on a wheel, a light might come on if you read that a few times. took me several.

    By Blogger racheat, at 9/15/2005 01:47:00 PM  

  • I too enjoy Kudos, but not in the strange, obsessive ways that you do. That's just weird, man.

    I found this on storefinder, as stonebridge suggested:

    ALBERTSONS
    210 W KATHERINE P RAINS RD
    CLEBURNE, TX 76031
    (817)-641-2002
    135.43 Miles from Abilene.

    If you can go to Malibu to get your fix, surely you can go to Cleburne?

    By Blogger Travis, at 9/15/2005 02:46:00 PM  

  • http://rockofagescandy.com/STDCandyBars/Products/Kudos.html

    Rock of Ages Candy Store ... interesting

    You can get 10 bars for $9 +S&H

    No clue if this is a good price

    By Blogger Lee Anne D, at 9/15/2005 09:04:00 PM  

  • It's Friday -- so let's talk some high school football - ;-).
    My dream playoff matchup continues to be Abilene High (alma mater) vs. Lufkin (childrens alma mater to be)in the Division II state semi-finals. We missed it last year by one errant Taylor Potts pass into the endzone. C'mon Panthers and Eagles - let's try one more time.

    By Blogger KentF, at 9/16/2005 05:57:00 AM  

  • What's the deal with the hamster?

    By Blogger Brad, at 9/16/2005 09:26:00 AM  

  • I baby-sat for Elizabeth yesterday and saw so much of Chris in her. Brought back a lot of memories. Still having a hard time with the fact that he's old enough to play 7th grade football!

    Also, thanks for introducing me to su maestra as su "otra hija". That was really sweet! :)

    Love you, mi otro padre!

    By Blogger Heather A, at 9/16/2005 05:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home