Mike Cope's blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

So many great comments yesterday about the possibility of easing off the accelerator pedals in our lives. One that I'm afraid got buried after a lengthy essay I put in the comments section is from Tammy: At many points in my life it has seemed that I am not able to see the forest through the trees. The busyness of motherhood, a side job, serving in church, just general things that are "good" but for whatever reason seem to fill up a space of time with no time for rest or Sabbath. When my son Jack was diagnosed with a brain tumor earlier this year, my busy life came to a screaching halt. I suddenly saw how little time I had spent playing with my kids, spending time hugging on them, spending time thinking about romancing my husband, luckily I had time invested in scripture and prayer, so when this all hit I had the Rock of my life to cling to. It was the little things that I realized I was taking for granted that they would be there tomorrow. I could play later when the dishes were done, I could take a walk tomorrow when laundry was finished.....as Jack was being wheeled into surgery to remove the tumor from his brain I realized I might not ever get the chance to hang out with him again. Thanks be to God that I have been blessed with alot of times since then to spend time just "being" with my kids, and alot more time to not only read but meditate on scripture. I don't know when Jack's tumor struggles will be over, but when they are and it is time for me to start adding extra stuff into my life I will be adding it with guidance through prayer and God's leading. One of the many blessings that has come through Jack's diagnosis is I make a conscience effort to not take relationships for granted, family, friends, and the awesome blessing of a God who never leaves me the same for even one day. Just wanted to be sure you didn't miss that! - - - - Tonight Randy Harris continues the series that he said was inspired by my four weeks in Leviticus. I think he's calling it "Almost Irrelevant Ideas from Nearly Obscure Passages" (or something Harrisesque like that). - - - - I've found myself praying a lot for Judge Roberts recently, knowing that, at age 50, he could be leading the Supreme Court for the rest of my lifetime. - - - - Another quote from Honore's In Praise of Slowness: "There is something in the nature of cooking and eating together that forms a bond between people. It is no accident that the word 'companion' is derived from Latin words meaning 'with bread.' A relaxed, convivial meal has a calming, even civilizing, effect, smoothing away the smash-and-grab haste of modern life. The Kwakiutl people of British Columbia warn that fast eating can 'bring about the destruction of the world more quickly by increasing the aggressiveness' in it. Oscar Wilde expressed a similar sentiment with a typically barbed aphorism: 'After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.'" - - - - While surfing last night, I happened to catch Alison Krauss singing "A Living Prayer." That's a religious experience.

16 Comments:

  • Alison Krauss singing "I'll Fly Away" is also a religious experience!

    By Blogger Emily, at 9/28/2005 05:32:00 AM  

  • As a mother of 4 I was convicted by Tammy's comment and your blog yesterday. So many times I have committed to slowing down only to be going full speed by the next week. There is a children's book written by Karen Kingsbury that reminds me to slow down and enjoy my children. It's called Let Me Hold You Longer. Here are some excerpts:
    Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts:
    First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst.
    But one day you will move away and leave to me your past,
    And I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts. . .
    The last time that I held a bottle to your baby lips.
    The last time that I lifted you and held you on my hip.
    The last night when you woke up crying, needing to be walked.
    When last you crawled up with your blanket, wanting to be rocked.
    The last time when you ran to me, still small enough to hold.
    The last time that you said you'd marry me when you grew old.
    Precious, simple moments and bright flashes from your past-
    Would I have held on longer if I knew they were your last?
    Our last adventure to the park, your final midday nap,
    The last time when you wore your favorite faded baseball cap.
    Your last few hours of kindergarten, those last days of first grade,
    Your last at bat in Little League, last colored picture made.
    I never said good-bye to all your yesterdays long passed.
    So what about tomorrow- will I recognize your lasts?.....

    My life keeps moving faster,
    stealing precious days that pass.
    I want to hold on longer- want to recognize your lasts.....

    Let me hold on longer, God, to every precious last.

    Thanks for your comments and reminder to slow down. It's time to start the laundry, empty the dishwasher, start the carpool, etc. UGH!

    By Blogger 4blessings, at 9/28/2005 05:39:00 AM  

  • Re: While surfing last night, I happened to catch Alison Krauss singing "A Living Prayer."

    It was Roy Acuff, I believe, who said that Alison Krauss "tickles the angels' feet" when she sings.

    This song touches my heart and stirs my soul each time I listen to it--a religious experience, indeed!

    By Blogger Bill, at 9/28/2005 05:44:00 AM  

  • Mike by now you should know that you can't make comments about having a religious experience listening to "A Living Prayer" without giving us the link! I could use a religious experience this morning.

    By Blogger Rcutsinger, at 9/28/2005 06:21:00 AM  

  • Mark and I also had heard she was going to be on this show and had to wait till almost the end to hear her! The whole time she sang, we sat motionless, taking in every note. If you've ever seen her in concert, she is equally as good if not better because there is two hours of her and the guys! We had the wonderful opportunity of hearing her at Riverbend Church in Austin a few years ago. She sings with such spirit and makes it seem effortless.

    Let me also say, I REALLY love hearing Sheryl Thomas sing "A Living Prayer." I'm glad the Zoe group included it in their newest CD!

    By Blogger Debbie, at 9/28/2005 07:12:00 AM  

  • A quote that brings me back to this place that Tammy and you and so many others adressed yesterday...
    "The good can be the enemy of the best."
    This is so true for me, as I fill my time often with so many things that are GOOD, but because of all of those things, I miss out on really spending time doing the BEST.

    I do love "A Living Prayer"...the Sheryl Thomas version is quite amazing as well!

    By Blogger tine, at 9/28/2005 07:40:00 AM  

  • Mike--

    On Wednesday nights, we've been doing "Encounter," a special time for reflection on the "seasons" of our spiritual growth. The most consistent feedback I've received is this: "This has been so wonderful. I don't have time for anything like this during my week." Our biggest hope and prayer through this worship experience has been that people will learn the value of spiritual reflection, and that they will grow in their abilities to see God's work in their lives.

    By Blogger RPorche, at 9/28/2005 08:35:00 AM  

  • Rcut - It was on TV last night. Don't even know what channel. It was a concert raising $$ for hurricane victims.

    I love the Zoe version of "A Living Prayer," too. A couple Sundays ago we had the Kellie (Curtis) Miller version at Highland, which was quite stunning as well.

    By Blogger Mike, at 9/28/2005 09:15:00 AM  

  • The posts and comments the past two days have been refreshing. I feel like I have been living in a pit of chaos. "Sabbath Rest" has been taken out of my vocabulary. The last couple of days I have been reminded to breathe. For these posts and the responses, I am grateful. Each of them have ministered to my heart.

    By Blogger Josh Ross, at 9/28/2005 11:39:00 AM  

  • We just had 'The 100-Minute Bible' introduced to us over here in the UK. My blog post today has some links about this newest literary trend. Another example of what some will do to take short cuts through their over-scheduled lives. What are your thoughts?

    As to Alison Krauss, we just had a wonderful experience with her and Union Station here in London two Sunday nights ago. There was a huge power outage in the theatre area, and the concert was delayed for almost an hour, but when Alison and the guys finally walked out on stage, the lights were bright and a little bit of Heaven was heard ... what a blessing!

    By Blogger Deb, at 9/28/2005 12:46:00 PM  

  • Thanks Mike. When you said "surfing" I thought you meant the net. I have just about all Zoe's CD's and love them. I guess I'll need to get their new one too.

    I really appreciate your blog.

    By Blogger Rcutsinger, at 9/28/2005 01:41:00 PM  

  • I'd like to weigh in and say that I PREFER the Sheryl Thomas version. Of course...I am prejudice.

    Looking forward to seeing you, brother. Let's chat when you get a second.

    By Blogger Brandon Scott, at 9/28/2005 02:00:00 PM  

  • For my money, the best "I'll Fly Away" rendition is by Mickey Gilley.

    By Blogger Old Pybus, at 9/28/2005 03:56:00 PM  

  • Then apparently, Old Pybus, you've never heard The Chuck Wagon Gang sing it. :-)

    By Blogger Matt Elliott, at 9/28/2005 06:33:00 PM  

  • My PePaw used to sing "I'll Fly Away" while we worked on jigsaw puzzles. That's my favorite version.

    (He flew away in 1987.)

    By Blogger Deana Nall, at 9/28/2005 08:30:00 PM  

  • To help in you slowing down, I would like to share with you some illustrated poetry -2 sections - inspirational, "He Came Down", and love, "Dreams and Time. Each section has 7 prints.

    Enjoy!

    http://www.expressionfromtheheart.com



    Jim

    By Blogger Jim, at 10/01/2005 06:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home