Mike Cope's blog

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

At our home, we are Shel Silverstein fans. Here's one for today: I went to find the pot of gold That's waiting where the rainbow ends. I searched and searched and searched and searched And searched and searched, and then-- There it was, deep in the grass, Under and old and twisty bough. It's mine, it's mine, it's mine at last. . . . What do I search for now? So often we think that there is some great destination that we're waiting for. We find ourselves "killing time" (a horrible phrase) just waiting for that destination. We forget that it's the journey itself that is full of life. You can't wait for your kids to grow up so you can have a little peace and quiet. There is the joy of the journey. You can't wait for retirement so you can play golf. There is the joy of the journey. You can't wait for your church to "do things right" so you can be happy. There is the joy of the journey. You can't wait for American to get back to the good old days. There is the joy of the journey. Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Lion, and the Scarecrow are headed to Oz. But the heart, the courage, and the brain they need come from the journey--not from the diminutive wizard behind the curtain. Bilbo Baggins' walking song has it right: The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say. I have my eyes on an incredible destination. But the journey is filled with joy--even in the midst of pain. I don't want to miss that joy! What's out there on the road for you this day? Don't put off today waiting for Friday. Don't blow off this week waiting for next week or this month waiting for next month or this year waiting for next year. Too many people miss life waiting for something better. Look out today and smile at THAT spouse, THOSE kids, THAT job, THOSE friends, THAT church, THOSE neighbors.

14 Comments:

  • A popular Houston radio talk show host, Mike Richards (ACU grad), would end every show with: "Don't let ANYTHING -- steal your joy."

    Thanks for a great blog post!

    By Blogger David Michael, at 10/04/2005 05:54:00 AM  

  • I needed that. Thanks.

    By Blogger Agent B, at 10/04/2005 06:22:00 AM  

  • This hit home! I am ALWAYS catching myself saying "I'll be happy when..." or "I'll be happy after....". Thanks for the reminder to live in the present!!!

    By Blogger Beaner, at 10/04/2005 07:09:00 AM  

  • Ditto Beaner.

    By Blogger Emily, at 10/04/2005 07:52:00 AM  

  • So often during our difficult times in life and faith, I think we focus so much on the end goal of being with Christ that we lose sight of the present goal of striving to be like Him both in and to the world around us. “Don’t lose the forest for the trees” – true, but the trees are what make up the forest. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

    By Blogger Tiffany, at 10/04/2005 08:20:00 AM  

  • I can't help but think about how Jesus lived. He was always journeying. While I believe he had a particular destination in mind (death, burial and resurrection) he also lived in the moment. He took time to be with people, love people and bless people. The destination was important but so was the journey. We look forward in anticipation of what will be, but we also take time to look around and live in the moment that we might be with, bless and love others. May we all be continually transformed into the Christ-life as we praise God for Joy in the Journey!

    By Blogger Mike, at 10/04/2005 08:54:00 AM  

  • Mike, thank you for today...just for today...I know there will be many tomorrows but just for today thank you for being Mike. I don't think that this is something I struggle with...not saying this to boast but only to say that life has been hard from the beginning and somehow God showed me how to see the joy in everyday things. There is so much joy in our journeys...we only have to open our eyes. Today I took a walk around the neighborhood and saw many things that filled me with joy...monarch butterflies everywhere, a turtle sunning himself on a piece of floating styrofoam, a beautiful white egret flying overhead with those long legs trailing behind, a majestic hawk, an elderly couple fixing their driveway light together-his hand resting on her back, the trees beginning to change color...and before the walk...a long talk with a dear friend who is far away. I have learned that if you are only looking for the really big stuff then you are usually unhappy and discontented but if you look always for the little stuff then you will be constantly filled...not just filled but overflowing with joy. I could type for days about all the little things that have brought me joy in the past two weeks.
    Have a great day...Julie

    By Blogger julie, at 10/04/2005 10:45:00 AM  

  • Thanks for the reminder. It's hard to remain focused in this fast paced world. Thanks for being a part of the refocusing we need. I found a quote recently that says,
    "When all is said and done, more is said than done."
    Let that not be said of God's children.
    Kelley

    By Blogger Snapshot, at 10/04/2005 10:56:00 AM  

  • Thanks, I needed that!

    By Blogger Steve Duer, at 10/04/2005 10:59:00 AM  

  • Some times we must wait for a journey to begin, but I guess that is a journey in its self. I agree with every thing but the pain part.

    By Blogger Clint, at 10/04/2005 11:41:00 AM  

  • Why is it that my children miss the good fireworks because they're so busy watching the ants? I think I have life backwards! I'm going to start looking for the little joys in life for awhile! This has been a great post! This post has been a joy to me today - thanks to all!

    By Blogger Beaner, at 10/04/2005 12:20:00 PM  

  • Yessir! That will preach! See you this weekend!

    By Blogger RPorche, at 10/04/2005 01:37:00 PM  

  • As a college student who has displayed much difficulty in keeping a regular sleep schedule, there have been times--one semester in particular--when I spent weeks at a time so exhausted that I go through my days waiting for sleep, waiting for rest. And though I'm not nearly as sleep-deprived now, there is still a strong tendency when I get tired enough to look forward all day to the moment when I can fall into bed. I have several friends who can get the same way. When your view of life has you thinking the best part of your day is when you're unconscious, there's something wrong. Thank you for reminding me to keep this as a conscious thougt--to make sure I am still trying to break that habit. Making a conscious decision to look at my life differently, so that I look for the joyous moments in my day, whether sleepy or energetic. Every day, to live while I'm awake.

    By Blogger Tara, at 10/04/2005 05:52:00 PM  

  • I know you've gotten alot of this, but thanks as well for those precious words.

    And to add to it, not only did Jesus journey to be with people and bless people and love them, but he really seemed to like being with them as well.

    It's so easy to focus on things, and time, and finances, but that's not nearly as precious as smiles, funny faces, tears and friends.

    By Blogger Flutter, at 10/04/2005 07:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home