Mike Cope's blog

Monday, October 24, 2005

I walked into the Clyde Church of Christ Friday to do a funeral for Jack Farmer with a sense of deja vu. It looked almost exactly like the church building my grandpa had built in Missouri. Same colors, same pews, same classrooms down the side, same baptistry, same track rack in the foyer. Since I didn't know Jack well, I had no idea how many people would come. But it was amazing. Probably 500 people crammed into that auditorium. They knew for whom the bell tolled. Jack and Betty had spent all 57 years of their married life in Eula, Texas on one piece of land. They moved once: ten feet. But for 57 years they raised their kids, nurtured their grandkids, loved and served their community. When you study church history, get read about people who preached sermons, wrote books, and had broad influence. But this is real church history, isn't it? One man (and woman) being the salt of the earth and the light of the world through quiet, faith-filled lives. - - - - There must be some marketing genius at ACU. The students get one day -- ONE DAY! -- off, and it's called "fall break." But by listening to students, you'd think that they had a whole week off. "I'm tired, but I'm just trying to make it to fall break." Are you kidding me? It's one day off! But, hey, if it works . . . . - - - - Come on, Astros. And congrats to the Cowboys on beating the Seahawks for 3.99 quarters. It's that .01 that'll get you, though.

14 Comments:

  • Sounds like Jack was faithful till the very end. Now that's victory for you. jueumrlr

    By Blogger Brady, at 10/24/2005 05:27:00 AM  

  • When I was a student, "fall break" was called "Thanksgiving"

    By Blogger Agent B, at 10/24/2005 05:40:00 AM  

  • I used to think it was that .01 sin that would send me straight to hell. Glad I've moved beyond that!

    By Blogger Brad, at 10/24/2005 05:57:00 AM  

  • -- brad,

    That .01 sin is even worse if you are a Cowboy. It will send you to Parcells.

    By Blogger abileneblues, at 10/24/2005 06:58:00 AM  

  • Mike,

    My first time here, and I can't help but leave a comment.

    I'm a Patriots fan, but I remain a loyal Bledsoe supporter. So I was cheering for the Cowboys until Parcells lost his cool (for one second) when discussing with officials a possible holding/interference call. Did you see this moment? Did you see Parcells hit one of his coaching assistants when talking with the refs? Well, when I saw it, I instantly started cheering for Seattle. Sorry. But Parcells is disturbed. I hope he's fined and suspended.

    Peace to you,

    Gnade

    By Blogger contratimes, at 10/24/2005 07:07:00 AM  

  • Ah, Clyde. My grandfather was the minister there for a while waaay back when.

    By Blogger James, at 10/24/2005 07:11:00 AM  

  • Fall Break for grad. students is useless. We don't have Friday classes, and it falls during mid-term/researchpaperfirstdraft season -- so no breaking here! (actually, we did go camping Sat-Sun, but that would have happened anyway)

    By Blogger Steve Jr., at 10/24/2005 07:32:00 AM  

  • I've noticed in my travels that many Churches of Christ have the same building design. My mom told me that there was an architect in the 1960's who gave the plans to a bunch of churches for free. I have seen essentially the same building in California, Connecticut, Michigan. I wonder if the one at the Clyde C of C is the same. It sounds like it. I also wonder how many of these buildings there are around the US.

    By Blogger reJoyce, at 10/24/2005 08:28:00 AM  

  • "tract" rack ... although it was intended to keep everybody "on track"

    Timothy D.

    By Blogger Fellow Traveler, at 10/24/2005 09:36:00 AM  

  • There's a house in my neighborhood that looks like an old CoC from the '60s. Weird.

    By Blogger Deana Nall, at 10/24/2005 09:36:00 AM  

  • Not everyone got to see the "loft" the singers were in. It brought back ancient memories of the church bldg on Vine st. Pretty sure one of my earliest Sunday School class rooms, or maybe the nursery where my little brother was kept was in an identical loft. Of course the one in Clyde looked so small!
    sarah

    By Blogger Sarah_RN, at 10/24/2005 09:40:00 AM  

  • That's a beautiful tribute to your friend, Mr. Farmer.

    It was G.K. Chesterton who said, "The most extraordinary thing in the world is an ordinary man, and his ordinary wife, and their ordinary children."

    By Blogger mike the eyeguy, at 10/24/2005 10:54:00 AM  

  • But this is real church history, isn't it? One man (and woman) being the salt of the earth and the light of the world through quiet, faith-filled lives.

    And I can't think of a better legacy to leave, than being the salt of the earth! Thanks for sharing that.

    By Blogger Michele, at 10/24/2005 04:09:00 PM  

  • Sorry but I lost your e-mail address! Dr. Kemper is our peditrician and when I told her Matt was in his 2nd year of med school she asked me to get his address so she can write him. She seemed so excited and so proud! You can email me through my profile or just give me Gina's e-mail and I will go through her. Thanks! Sorry to post an uncomment in comments. :) Stephanie

    By Blogger SG, at 10/24/2005 07:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home