Mike Cope's blog

Monday, October 31, 2005

Just finished taking car pool and got behind a Dodge with two bumper stickers. One said: "WE ARE COMING. God may forgive you. WE WILL NOT." The other sticker? "Jesus lives." - - - - Churches, like dysfunctional families, often suffer from an inability to laugh at themselves. One thing about reasonably healthy families is that they can almost always laugh at themselves without anyone accusing anyone else of hating the family. It is, in fact, a fairly reliable sign of their health. You can tell things about your OWN family that wouldn't be nearly as funny if someone from the outside were telling it! - - - - Note to Highland folks: Don't miss "Oasis" this Wednesday night. Donna Hester and Jill Maxwell are going to be presenting "Iron Apron Strings," the dramatic presentation they did at the ACU lectureship and then at the Zoe conference. It creatively tells the story of Jesus through his maternal lineage from Eve to Mary. The next Wednesday night, November 9, I'll be focusing on >"The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," in anticipation of the movie being released on December 9.

9 Comments:

  • Will you have a script or a tape of the message on C. S. Lewis?

    By Blogger Emily, at 10/31/2005 07:05:00 AM  

  • A book you may consider for study is "The Heart of the Chronicles of Narnia" by Thomas Williams.

    By Blogger David Michael, at 10/31/2005 07:17:00 AM  

  • I'll plan to be there for the 12/9 presentation - I love C S Lewis, so what better birthday gift can afford myself than listening to you, as well as seeing the "Iron Apron Strings" drama presentation.

    Thanks!

    As far as church laughing at itself, any doubts were erased about Highland with your video clip of ZOE's 'new CD' - loved it. LOL WShat a blessing you are, Mike Cope!!

    By Blogger Kathy, at 10/31/2005 08:54:00 AM  

  • A church that can't laugh at itself is a church doomed to die.
    Funny church story - I was running our computer last week during worship. I'm an elder (that's probably the problem - keep those elders away from the computer)at our church. We had several people out and the sister who was suppose to run the computer said she needed a break.

    I was doing fine until my knee hit the main power switch and our screen started retracting in the middle of our preacher's sermon.

    He recovered quickly by telling the church, "That's the fastest I've ever had the elders pull the plug on one of my sermons!"

    We all "knee" a laugh every now and then.
    nqblg

    By Blogger cwinwc, at 10/31/2005 12:00:00 PM  

  • The two people preachers must be very carefully to respect: the sound person and the computer person. It can go bad very quickly if it goes bad there!

    Emily - no script, but probably a tape available.

    By Blogger Mike, at 10/31/2005 02:05:00 PM  

  • Speaking of the video clip of Zoe's 'new CD', is that available online anywhere? If not, could it be? Maybe linked on the Zoe Web site? I know of some who weren't in attendance at the conference or at Highland that Sunday who would definitely be amused by it.

    By Blogger Wendy, at 10/31/2005 03:17:00 PM  

  • The first bumper sticker mentioned, while sad is probably true.

    By Blogger Kyle, at 10/31/2005 08:51:00 PM  

  • If Jesus was leading our country, how would he try to bring freedom to the world? Through war?

    Why do we as Christians sometimes put our country above our God?

    Sorry, but all I have is questions.

    By Blogger Seth Robins, at 10/31/2005 09:26:00 PM  

  • In my grandmother's house, in the room where my brother and I slept was a real wardrobe. I know that, on at least one occasion, I pushed aside the polyester suits and thrust my hand to the back...just in case.

    I wish I still had that fervent of a longing for magic.

    By Blogger Robert, at 11/01/2005 04:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home