Mike Cope's blog

Friday, November 04, 2005

I can't believe Sylvia has moved. I'm a man of habits and Subway is one of them. For six years, Sylvia has managed the Subway where I often go. She knows the routine: wheat bread, turkey and ham, provolone, all vegies (including spinach) except lettuce, vinegar. But her husband got transferred to Houston, so they're gone as of this week. For six years we chatted briefly. She'd ask how things were going at church, and I'd ask how things were at the store. It's the funny thing about being in a place for so long. I buy cars from Chris (if new) or Cal (if used). Brent handles my insurance. Floyd and Kay deliver our paper. And Kelli cuts my hair. For 15 years she's cut my hair. There's less in back now than when she started in 1991, but she still gives it her best effort. When we first moved here, I wandered into a clip shop between our house and ACU. She happened to be available. When she moved downtown years later, I followed. Now she's at Jodelle's. It's a tiny bit girlie for me. There's no TV with ESPN, and no Men's Health magazine is in sight. But the two of them are wonderful. Besides, I could name names of guys who sometimes read this blog who also go there. - - - - Took a little walk in Nashville this morning. Just incredibly gorgeous!

9 Comments:

  • I thought I was the only fan of spinach on subs! Jodelle was my stylist long ago in that girlie salon. The similarities end there; the longest I've lived in the same place in my life is 8 years. I long to say "for 15 years..."

    By Blogger Amy, at 11/04/2005 06:24:00 AM  

  • Your "routine" sounds similar to mine (although I'm more of a Sweet Onion Chicken Terikai guy myself).

    It also occurs to me that such routines serve a similar function as liturgy does in the life of many Christians. The structure, balance, predictablity, comfort and nourishment of a tried and true "routine" can be a useful counterweight in a world that is unpredictable and always chasing after the latest fashionable wind that blows down the pike.

    By Blogger mike the eyeguy, at 11/04/2005 06:26:00 AM  

  • Tina cuts my hair at Jodelle's, and I totally agree, how hard could it be to get a Sports Illustrated there?

    By Blogger jds, at 11/04/2005 06:44:00 AM  

  • If anyone out there thinks they're not steeped in routine, try taking your shower differently. If you wash your hair first, try washing your body first. It'll mess you up!!! I think that's what Jesus came to do - mess up our human routine of the way we think & the way we act. But, for a purpose, of course!

    By Blogger Beaner, at 11/04/2005 07:58:00 AM  

  • I have a similar routine in the morning. I drive to the Burger King near our home to order a sausage-egg-cheese croissant. I’ve gone there so often,ordered the same thing, and have been waited on by the same dear lady, that when I drive up to place my order, I’m greeted by “Hey Honey” and my order pops up on the screen without having to utter a word.
    safrng (State of eating too many sausage – egg – cheese croissants)

    By Blogger cwinwc, at 11/04/2005 08:43:00 AM  

  • I work with the TV going beside me and just watched Martha Stewart make what she called "The Perfect BLT". There is nothing like a BLT (to me). True comfort food. Martha suggested putting a basil leaf in with the lettuce and grill the bread with a bit of butter too. Sounds like lunch to me! She also suggested homemade mayonaise. Gotta part with Martha there. I believe God blessed "Blue Plate Mayonaise".

    By Blogger Snapshot, at 11/04/2005 08:46:00 AM  

  • I guess I'm being nosy, but are you in N'vill for a Wineskins meeting? The leaves are just beautiful here in Arkansas too! I can't decide which color I like the best--God's palette is so vividly perfect!

    My routine is so "routine" that my boys "routinely" tease me about it! From birth to death, "routine" is what keeps the earth "routating"--HA?

    By Blogger annie, at 11/04/2005 10:19:00 AM  

  • I thought you were starting to look more and more like Jared from the Subway commercial! This explains it.

    By Blogger David Michael, at 11/04/2005 11:31:00 AM  

  • Clearly, Jared has more hair. Define what "less" means.

    This blog thing has certainly put a dent in my routine. I may have to give up eating to make room for blog time.

    By Blogger Paul W, at 11/05/2005 05:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home