Mike Cope's blog

Saturday, January 07, 2006

"How can followers of Christ be a counterculture for the common good?" That's the question that Books and Culture, Christianity Today, and Leadership Journal are joining together to ask this year. They're inviting six creative Christian thinkers to answer the question. The first is Lauren Winner, the 29-year-old author of Girl Meets God and Real Sex. Her answer to this significant question is about sleep. That's right. We, as followers of Jesus Christ, can take sleep more seriously. You can find her essay here. - - - - Check out this review of King Kong by Deana Nall.

4 Comments:

  • I stopped by this morning to find your original post on Lauren Winner's book Real Sex and found a new post about her as well! She's a very interesting author. I just finished reading Real Sex. Much food for thought there - I can see how much of what she says will be useful in talking more with my teens about chastity. Thanks again for the book recommendation!

    Oh, and great link to Deana's "King Kong Chronicles". I had just about let one of my kids talk me into seeing it, but now have stiffened my resolve to not give in!

    By Blogger reJoyce, at 1/07/2006 07:38:00 AM  

  • Mike, Deana ALWAYS cracks me up but this one took the cake! Thanks for the link!

    DU

    By Blogger David U, at 1/07/2006 12:20:00 PM  

  • Thanks for pointing out Lauren Winner's article on sleep. In my counseling work as well as teaching classes on prayer and simplifying, I have become very concerned about the way people deny the body's need for sleep and rest in general. It's epidemic. Our land of plenty, with its bounteous food and 24-hour everything, makes living healthily a countercultural activity indeed.

    By Blogger Sheila, at 1/07/2006 06:18:00 PM  

  • Deana's review was very funny -- but of course, she was wrong about the movie. It was great! My son and I really enjoyed it.

    And Mike, I disagree with part of your review (on Deana's blog) -- I think King Kong was better than Jurassic Park. It had a better story, better monsters/creatures, better special effects, and no Jeff Goldblum!

    --

    By Blogger Jeff Slater, at 1/08/2006 06:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home