Mike Cope's blog

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Chris has been getting to hang with my mom this week while we've been out of town. (More on that later.) Through the years, Grandma and Papa have been lifesavers. At times, the kids have gone to Missouri; at other times Grandma has come to our home. When Megan was alive, once a year Mom would keep the kids for a week. It's hard to explain what a gift that was. Megan, our beloved daughter, was challenging. Mentally-handicapped, of course. But on the go all the time, seldom napping and sleeping very little at night. In her stronger days, she marched around the house getting into things 22-7. Family was wonderful. But marriage was hard. We were always tired. Those trips always rejuvenated us. Once we left for 10 days. I was a guest speaker for a Christian group on a cruise. (I believe with politicians we call this a junket.) When we returned we were tanned and rested. Mom was looking a bit worn. She smiled and said, "I think I'm a 7-day grandma." We learned later that she had called a friend and offered her a hundred million dollars to come take over for half an hour. Now it's not quite so challenging, but there's still no one better than Grandma to take over when Mom and Dad are gone.

15 Comments:

  • There is nothing that a grandmom loves better than to have that beloved grandchild all lone without parents around! Good for all concerned!

    By Blogger goldlenlocks, at 2/07/2006 08:41:00 AM  

  • When we leave our kids with Grandma they live on Monical's Pizza and Fannie Mae candy. Once our daughter told us on the phone "Grandma said not to tell you how many pieces of candy I've had, but I'll give you a hint, it's more than 9!!" That's what grandparents are all about!

    By Blogger HW, at 2/07/2006 08:49:00 AM  

  • We depend on grandmas these days. And you should see these grandmas navigate the city (NYC) as if they grew up here. It's impressive but they'll do anything for their grandkids. And thank God they will!

    By Blogger jch, at 2/07/2006 08:51:00 AM  

  • Even though the methods change, our parent still take care of us even after we've left the nest, don't they?

    I can't even being to enumerate the instances of care we've received from my parents and my in-laws over the years. I'm sure the fact that I'm still semi-sane has much to do with their willingness to be there for us.

    By Blogger reJoyce, at 2/07/2006 09:42:00 AM  

  • While I had my precious granddaughter a few months back so her mom and dad could celebrate their anniversary, my daughter brought back a T-shirt that had sodas, ice cream and french fries on it, the caption read:
    What happens at Grandma's, stays at Grandma's!

    A huge compliment!

    By Blogger Hoots Musings, at 2/07/2006 12:01:00 PM  

  • I love how Megan's legacy lives on and how she continues, through you, to teach us.

    Ashley is still raving about getting to stay in "Megan's Room."

    By Blogger Thurman8er, at 2/07/2006 12:18:00 PM  

  • I wish I could go stay a week with my mamaw at her house! If it were like the old days, she would let me "help" her wash dishes, we'd go to the attic and play dress up in those old dresses and high heels... we'd have butter and sugar sandwiches for breakfast...we might even go to Stanley's pond and fish if it was warm enough!

    By Blogger That Girl, at 2/07/2006 03:10:00 PM  

  • Grandmas are simply the best. Thanks for sharing this Mike. I'd be interested in your thoughts following Coretta Scott King's funeral. It was incredibly moving just to watch snippets of the funeral on television. Brent Rogers says to say hi from Japan.

    By Blogger TKP, at 2/07/2006 04:13:00 PM  

  • My Grandmother was a safe place in an unsafe world...

    By Blogger Beverly, at 2/07/2006 07:09:00 PM  

  • Amen. She is a living example.

    By Blogger EBC, at 2/07/2006 07:26:00 PM  

  • My grandma was larger-than-life in my younger days, though she is actually only 4 and 1/2 feet tall!
    She would play WITH us and help us build tree houses!
    Today, I have a son of my own, and I'm not so sure my grandma wouldn't still try to build tree houses with him in a few years!

    By Blogger Franklin Wood, at 2/07/2006 08:00:00 PM  

  • You have wonderful parents Mike. I got to see them last fall when they came to my mother's funeral. It had been a long time. I will forever be grateful for the help they gave me.

    By Blogger Paul, at 2/07/2006 08:39:00 PM  

  • Grandmas are just antique little girls...

    By Blogger Cathy Messecar, at 2/08/2006 03:52:00 AM  

  • Mike,
    The kids must really have special grandparents. I know you all have been through a lot and it is great to hear about the love you all continue to have as a family.
    Ron Clark

    By Blogger KMiV, at 2/08/2006 09:24:00 AM  

  • I look forward to being one of those wonderful grandmoms! What a blessing.

    By Blogger claudia, at 2/08/2006 10:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home